Options

MAC addressing

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

Just want to clear a point up. On a switched network with multiple switches what steps/commands would efficiently obtain MAC to IP mappings especially if the host is on a remote switch? I know of the show arp to display local arp table but anything else I could use?

TIA :)
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Show arp will give you the mac to ip address mappings, along with that you have show mac-address-table to see what interface has learned what mac addresses.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks for that. I used the sh mac-address-table address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx mac address which showed the Vlan, MAC and Type as Dynamic. Would there be no way to show the IP address associated with this MAC or am I missing a point here?

Thanks again.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    The mac-address-table doesn't keep track of the L3 information, only the L2 information, VLAN and MAC address mostly.
  • Options
    Thanks. Would there be anyway of knowing a remote MAC address say if pinging an address?

• Options
    What I use sometimes is a ping sweep of a subnet on my PC then use a "arp -a" on Windows to find what entries are in the arp table, then compare them to the output of a "show mac-address-table". There are better tools for this but this is a low tech method.