New Guy Here - Update Passed test Oct 13, 2007, = 858

WillgKnowledgeIseekWillgKnowledgeIseek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Taking test this Saturday downtown at the prometric center Baltimore harbor .

Hey techexams community,

My name is William

Just found this great site while searching for answers on what ports might need to be known outside the regular course material ldap, ssh , kerberos , etc , ports like irc, secure ftp , any backdoor ports I should look over real quick on my last exam day

My test is this Saturday at 4pm downtown Baltimore and I just have a few questions for ya.

Does the security + test have mutliple choice or just 1 answer based? Any fill in blank ?

What ports did you guys/girls see on the test which were not standard ports, like services not ones like ftp or ssh .Or what are some ports you can remember that you tested for with question based answers.

What I have used to study for this exam .

CBT Nuggets Security +
Audio training by examforce
ucertify practice test center module
inside scoop book -
sybex -ebook
examforce testing center 350 question full version

Network ids game which the ccnp- at my job gave me to practice with which lets you configure your network run a simulation and see how it did standing up to attacks, kind of really helped me get the concept of where to put ids, firewalls, honeypots etc . Wish there were more simulationgs for security + but it seems this cert is just the foundation of knowledge leading into the cissp and other security certs,

Flashcardexchange.com- Had a good section for ports . I suggest you guys add this link as it has every catagory in the world for I.T also lets you make your own flash cards

Some tips for those on how I study which you can add to your gameplan

The last 2 weeks before your test - Do as many questions above the cert you are going for so security + is 100 so last week I did 250-350 - the week of the test go back to only 25 + more and slowly decrease until test day. Now what you do here is write down any keyword you get wrong say kerberos 3 main components , = Auth server, security database, privilege server

what this does is you now have a list going into your last week of what you really need to grasp for those final sessions.

Any facts you learn outside the material put on a seperate cram sheet called extra credit this to your mind has to be the extra things which could get you above a 90 % on a test these build blocks for your mind to have storage places for concepts

I also like to bring my studing review exp flashcards into my sunday football or now halo 3 gaming sessions . For those who game or watch football any break when you die or a commerical break look at a card and answer sort 2 piles stuff you know soon as the question appears and stuff you still need to look at each week or session your stuff to still look at becomes smaller and smaller until you have none. This makes your relax and fun time also educational so double productive

When studying by a book make a flashcard for each bolded subtopic and 1 for the chapter name studying ,the chapter card has on the back what this chapter deals with and the most important things which anyone need to know

So general security flashcard for me has the

3 aaa
MAC DAC RBAC
ASY SYM
CHAP, Kerberos ,
Diffirent types of attacks

Important that no facts go on this card its just the keyword which triggers your brain thoughts to start flowing for the chapter

Left on my list to master before test day Saturday

1)A few port mistakes thinking UPD or TCP - anyone have a chart which the security + goes by standard- Don't want to get any curveballs like whats port for this virusss

2) What are some of the encryption strengths , algorithms bits - Getting a few confused, again anyone have a quick cram chart for what security + wants to know

I think the basics are
sym- des , 3des , aes, blowfish, idea, rc2, rc4, rc5, rc6, cast, mars,serpent,twofish, kerberos, ssl

asy- rivest"rsa", diffie, elgamal, elliptic curve "ecc" ssl handshake, pki

3) That boring chapter on all the policy documents -This will most likely be what I study 1 hour before the test to try and smash the topics into my brain lol, Im going to review the notes here maybe that might make it easier on whats important to remember along the lines of the document refs

4) Any cable standards which might make me crack my network + notes open again

Sorry for the long intro just thought I would make a new kind of welcome with questions , tips and background lol

I think I am going to enjoy myself here.

:D [/b]
Currently Studying
CISCO CCNET, Exchange 2007, EST End of Jan

Updated :Passed Security + "2007 Version" 858 Oct 13, 2007
MCDST - December 22, 2007- 949

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard and best of luck on Saturday. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    For a quick review you can check out the Technotes available on this site at by clicking here. There is a section at the top about the format of the exam as well as some practice questions (some specific to the well known ports you are concerned about) above the technotes.
    What ports did you guys/girls see on the test which were not standard ports, like services not ones like ftp or ssh .Or what are some ports you can remember that you tested for with question based answers.

Careful about NDA violations. I haven't taken Security+, but I doubt anyone is permitted to disclose specific information about questions on the test. Even if they are permitted to they should not do so.
    Wish there were more simulationgs for security + but it seems this cert is just the foundation of knowledge leading into the cissp and other security certs,

You are correct in that Security+ is more foundational knowledge and is also designed to be more technically focused than the CISSP exam, however the CISSP does not involve simulations and is also a multiple choice knowledge based test with a wider scope and slightly different focus. I passed the CISSP exam without coming across any simulations in neither the exam not any study materials I used. Obviously if you have hands on experience you will remember it better though and you may wish to perform some of the tasks yourself. Being that the CISSP requires work experience you likely have hands on experience with at least some of the material unless you are sitting to become an Associate of (ISC)2.

I haven't taken the Security+ exam, but it sounds like you have been preparing above and beyond what I have seen from many posters here. I'm sure it will pay off with a pass. Good Luck.[/url]
  • WillgKnowledgeIseekWillgKnowledgeIseek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Schluep wrote:
    For a quick review you can check out the Technotes available on this site at by clicking here. There is a section at the top about the format of the exam as well as some practice questions (some specific to the well known ports you are concerned about) above the technotes.

Careful about NDA violations. I haven't taken Security+, but I doubt anyone is permitted to disclose specific information about questions on the test. Even if they are permitted to they should not do so.
    Wish there were more simulationgs for security + but it seems this cert is just the foundation of knowledge leading into the cissp and other security certs,

You are correct in that Security+ is more foundational knowledge and is also designed to be more technically focused than the CISSP exam, however the CISSP does not involve simulations and is also a multiple choice knowledge based test with a wider scope and slightly different focus. I passed the CISSP exam without coming across any simulations in neither the exam not any study materials I used. Obviously if you have hands on experience you will remember it better though and you may wish to perform some of the tasks yourself. Being that the CISSP requires work experience you likely have hands on experience with at least some of the material unless you are sitting to become an Associate of (ISC)2.

I haven't taken the Security+ exam, but it sounds like you have been preparing above and beyond what I have seen from many posters here. I'm sure it will pay off with a pass. Good Luck.[/url]

Thanks for the welcome , Well you were right working under a exchange admin dealing with pki and security certs tokens , and the prep I did for the test really payed off

Scored a 858 out of 900 so im very happy with that .

I would say for those about to take the test ,

Know MAC, DAC, RBAC, and what they use is the most important thing
    Know the attacks, and know how to combat
    Know asy , Sym, hashing algorithms
    Know the PKI system inside and out <<<,
    And most important make sure you read the question and figure if the procedure they are talking about deals with you being a regular user or as the actual security admin ,

Also know the vpn tunnel protocols and how to setup a dmz and the diffirent types of ids systems, firewall types on the network and where

I didint get to many policy questions maybe 3 or 4 tops

Well now its time to figure out -CCNA , ETHICAL HACKER, , And do I want to go after exchange 2003 or the new test

Im thinking about to get my mcp real quick just do a 2 week hour each day and get the MCP 270 for xp .

Th last minute prep guide from you guys here at techexams is what I took into the waiting area before the prometric room. very nice layout and helped trigger a few memory blocks , Great job .
    :D
    Currently Studying
    CISCO CCNET, Exchange 2007, EST End of Jan

Updated :Passed Security + "2007 Version" 858 Oct 13, 2007
    MCDST - December 22, 2007- 949
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Congratulations on the nice score. Your hard work definitely payed off.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats bro!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."