Built in "Computers OU"

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me why the build in "Computers OU" in AD 2003 is unable to apply GPO?

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Thats because its not an OU icon_eek.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Like Sie mentioned, it's not an organizational unit, it's a container -- just like the "Users" container. Group Policies can only be applied to organizational units, not containers.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JdotQ wrote:
    Like Sie mentioned, it's not an organizational unit, it's a container -- just like the "Users" container. Group Policies can only be applied to organizational units, not containers.

They can be applied to OU's, Sites, or Domains. Or individual computers/users as well, as in Local Group Policy.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the little typo here, I meant to say container, I get mixed up with this two sometimes icon_redface.gif, I am aware of GPO application to an OU, Domain Level, Sites as well local GPO on client Computers/Users.

I guess this answers my question then, GPO just cannot be applied with container even if you assign it on the site level or domain level, I had an assumption that it will inherit it cause I did not block policy inheritance on Domain Level, so it's kind of confusing.

Thanks, you guys rock!!!
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    sprkymrk wrote:
    JdotQ wrote:

They can be applied to OU's, Sites, or Domains. Or individual computers/users as well, as in Local Group Policy.
    Thanks for expanding on my very limited classification of GPO application, Mark! icon_thumright.gif
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JdotQ wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    JdotQ wrote:

Thanks for expanding on my very limited classification of GPO application, Mark! icon_thumright.gif

You already knew that. icon_cool.gif

I knew what you meant, but was just clarifying for other readers. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.