Cert Mode

I am in need of some advice/help

I having a big problem trying to get into "cert mode" The last cert that I completed was the elusive mcse 2k3. That was back I think near the end of 05 or early 06. I knew once I obtained my mcse I would take a break. Thinking I would jump right back to it. That is where the problem lies. I am having a hell of a time "jumping back to it". I find that when I do sit and open a book, I can’t focus. Anyone have any advice??
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best way to snap yourself back into "cert-mode" is to begin learning about something that interests you. It's hard to focus as it is, let alone if you're trying to study something that you find dull. If you're not sure what you want to study, I'd say it's time to hit the bookstore and just look around at the different cert-books, (as well as general networking and technology books,) to see what catches your eye. Grab a stack of books, a cup of coffee, and settle in to browse through and find what your next path is going to be.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sign up for a class at your local community college. Nothing like the commitment of a class and the quizes and exams to get the old "save some money by self-study juices" flowing again.

If you did get a good group of people in your class, it could be fun and you might get a chance to practice those interpersonal skills. Or you might just find a new bunch of friends to vent to about the silly end users or idiot admins you might work with.

Or you could get a slow bunch of computer newbies, which could also jump start you into self-study mode.

Have you found something you really want to learn? What's your motivation -- study for a promtion? raise? new job? impress members of the opposite sex?

Studying is a habit, so if you took a break you may have to work back into study mode slowly or you could tear some neurons. Try and make a schedule to start with and try to stick to it. Maybe just read for 1/2 an hour a few times a week and just try to get some background understanding of the topics and slowly try to work back into serious study/hands-on lab mode.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    let me know how you get back into "cert mode" when you MUST study for something that once in a while you find a little boring. I think my fault was I knocked 2 certs out in 4 months, then life happened (wedding, family vacation, HUGE projects at work, etc). Im slowly getting back on the horse, but not even as close as the pace once before. I was on pace for my MCSA before 2007, but now I plan to knock out one last exam before the end of the year, and then give myself till April to complete my MCSA. But I dont want to FORCE myself to learn the material too much, otherwise it loses its point.

I should be back in full swing soon :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I motivate myself by booking the exam! I then have a deadline and HAVE to study. I know you can cancel/postpone but it gets me organised.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is all just self motivation for me. I had to change jobs and prometric is giving me a hard time scheduling tests so I've been out of cert mode for a 3 months. I just know I need to get it done so I am picking the books back up.

When I have free time, I look at what I am really doing... Well its video game or study... Study obviously gives me the most benefit for my time so I pick the book up. That doesn't mean I don't ever choose the other option. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    It is all just self motivation for me. I had to change jobs and prometric is giving me a hard time scheduling tests so I've been out of cert mode for a 3 months. I just know I need to get it done so I am picking the books back up.

When I have free time, I look at what I am really doing... Well its video game or study... Study obviously gives me the most benefit for my time so I pick the book up. That doesn't mean I don't ever choose the other option. :)

funny you mention that, because with the release of Halo 3, Ive been having more trouble hitting the books. :D

I also find mixing it up works too. Example; first i watched hours of video, then I started reading the book. Both got boring really quick. So I took a quick 10 question practice exam last night on what Ive studied to benchmark myself. It definitely helped break away from the mundane task of reading, and reading, and reading... I feel slightly rejuvinated lately after I took a practice exam and felt confident about my performance. So I feel like im "back in the game" a bit more.

Booking the exam also gets you into study mode real quick as mentioned by SWM.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

funny you mention that, because with the release of Halo 3, Ive been having more trouble hitting the books. :D

I also find mixing it up works too. Example; first i watched hours of video, then I started reading the book. Both got boring really quick. So I took a quick 10 question practice exam last night on what Ive studied to benchmark myself. It definitely helped break away from the mundane task of reading, and reading, and reading... I feel slightly rejuvinated lately after I took a practice exam and felt confident about my performance. So I feel like im "back in the game" a bit more.

Booking the exam also gets you into study mode real quick as mentioned by SWM.

The best thing I can do to help study is trying to find someone else to study with. I like to read/read/read then discuss with someone else about what I learned to fully retain everything.

Sadly that person is hard to find. >_<
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!