Network Protocols???

confuseconfuse Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

How is everyone doing??

I dont undersand all these network protocols and their functions???

The class I tookd did not cover these areas.

Tcp/IP protocols:
IP, TCP, UDP, FTP, TFTP, SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, POP.IMAP, TELNET, ICMP, ARP, NTP

Apple protocols:
Appletalk, appleshare, AARP, ADSP, AFP, ASP, ATP, ELAP, NBP, PAP, RTMP, TLAP, ZIP

WAN Protocols:
RAS, PP, PPTP, ICA, IPSEC, L2TP, SSL

I got so confuse with these protocols.

Thank you

Comments

• confuseconfuse Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you

I am going to download your technotes and study.

If I have more questions, i will post here.

:D
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Yeah network protocols can be confusing at first.. especially differenciating them. But once you get them down it's easy piezi japanesy..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Also, keep in mind the "WAN" protos that you are looking at, aren't what you think, or may think they are.

PPP, PPTP, RAS, and ICA = Remote access proto's. They are a means of access to other Servers/workstations through the WAN

IPSec, SSL, L2TP, L2F, and Kerberos = security through the remote access. It's a means of how the two access communicate through the WAN, in a secure inviornment.

Clear as mud :)

If you have the exam cram book, this will help you to understand how they work. Remember, don't get frustrated. We were, and some are still are where you are right now. I too am about to take my test. Know you're material, know the objectives, and have plenty of practice tests, and you will do fine. I have the Third edition of Sybex Network + by David Groth. GREAT BOOK! As well as the exam cram 2 book for Network+ I have read that these two book offer a leathal combo for killing that exam the first time! You'll do fine!

Best of luck

Chris
    A+, DCSE
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Oh, also....BTW, this website, as well as mcmcse.com offer great study guides and excellent practice tests.

-C-
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • confuseconfuse Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all your replies.

yes, I do have the examcrem book which I am studying now but still dont understand or confused.
    I also have the sybex book and micheal Meyer network+ passport and all in one books.

Any more questions, I will post here.

:D