Anyone needing a server

halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
May want to take a look at this:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_400sc?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
Not to bad of a price since you can upgrade to a P4 2.4GHz with an 800MHz FSB when you order it for free. Figured some of our people who come here may need one for a lab or something.

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Not a bad deal really.. Especially if you just wanna use it for your home computer..

Well, it is an intel, but we will let that slide.. icon_twisted.gif
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cheap & nasty icon_rolleyes.gif

IDE drives?? icon_redface.gif I would never EVER sell a customer something like that. Maybe OK at home as a file server for the family, but not in any way, shape or form as a business unit.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    I would have to agree with you on the fact that i wouldnt buy something like that for my business.
    file server for the family

Not quite like the family's of the 80's huh?
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • TechGeekProTechGeekPro Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like a great deal to me. Basically just an inexpensive Dimension in a different case with ECC RAM and no OS. So what if they're IDE drives.
    Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable.
  • JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    Wow ... Dell's also got some really cheap Home PC's.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_4600?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Prices could be driven even lower if they opted for AMD processors. I wonder when they'll do so.

Someday ... just someday ...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • pso pharpso phar Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whoa

Does the family of today really need a file server? For what p2p downloads or what?

Hey if a family member is an comp sci enthusiast or pro, maybe it's of value.
    At some point we will have all these appliances interconnected with WIFI or the like and maybe a home server will become commonplace.
    In an unrelated note; am I the only one who finds the SpellCheck cmd btn rather archaic. Come on, it requires user input for each and every word. I know I know just highlight the word you question and forget about it.
    Th3r3 I$ always s0me0n3 3ls3

-pso phar
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    In an unrelated note; am I the only one who finds the SpellCheck cmd btn rather archaic. Come on, it requires user input for each and every word. I know I know just highlight the word you question and forget about it.
    The SpellCheck isn't working correctly at the moment, it will be fixed when we move to the new server soon. Normally it only highlights incorrect words...