OSPF AS's and ASBR

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Feel me on this one, techies...

I'm reading through the OSPF material in the BSCI ciscopress book by Teare and Paquet, and I don't understand how an ASBR can tell one AS from another. I don't see where the AS is defined anywhere. Here's what I mean.

In AS 1, we set up Area 0, connected to Area 1 and Area 2.

In Area 1 an ASBR connects to Area 0 from AS 2. It introduces some external routes from AS 2, which show up as O E1's in the route table.

Now the ABR that connects Area 1 to Area 0 in AS1 dies. What prevents (after dead time) the ASBR from considering Area 0 in AS2 from being it's backbone?

Preciate any thoughts,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• MACattackMACattack Member Posts: 121
    Can you revise the question it is not that clear. If I could remember there is no issues regarding AS. Is your lab like this
    EXTERNAL network
    r1 (ASBR)AS1(area1)----r2(AS1Area0AS2)---r3(area2AS2)
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To have an ASBR you need an "external" routing domain that is being redistributed into OSPF. This could be from another routing protocol, or 2 different OSPF processes ("router ospf 1" and "router ospf 2" for example) which would have seperate area 0 for each process and would not share it as long as you configure the network statements so there is no overlap.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    dtlokee wrote:
    To have an ASBR you need an "external" routing domain that is being redistributed into OSPF. This could be from another routing protocol, or 2 different OSPF processes ("router ospf 1" and "router ospf 2" for example) which would have seperate area 0 for each process and would not share it as long as you configure the network statements so there is no overlap.

But as I understand it from the book, the process number... the router ospf 1 and 2... are only locally significant, and don't even need to match on routers in the same area. If that's the case, it doesn't identify the AS.

I like your thinking though on the redistributed routes. Safe to say that once a router identifies routes on an int to be from a foreign AS, that it will always classify it so? Makes sense.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    ASBR = Autonomous system Boundry router

ABR= area border router

ASBR performs redistribution of external routes

ABR connects to multiple OSPF areas

ABR performs summary for routes in a particular area
    area 1 range "summary address"

ASBR performs summary of external routes
    summary address "summary address"

My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you have 2 ospf processes they will be treated that way, with seperate topology tables and neighbor tables, however they will share a common routing table.

so if you had 3 routers:

R1
    R2
    R3

The segment between R1 and R2 is using 10.1.12.0/24 and the segment between R2 and R3 is using 10.1.23.0/24.

so on R1 you have :

Router ospf 1
    network 10.1.12.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

On R2:

Router ospf 1
    network 10.1.12.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

router ospf 2
    network 10.1.23.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

On R3:

router ospf 1
    network 10.1.23.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

This is how you can have 2 OSPF processes on the middle router. Routes from R1 will not be seen on R3 and routes from R3 will not bee seen on R1.

We could add:

R2:
    router ospf 1
    redistribute ospf 2 subnets

router ospf 2
    redistribute ospf 1 subnets

Now the router is an ASBR between 2 OSPF domains.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Excellent... got it now. Much obliged.