What is the most appropriate cert as a Network/System Admin?

jedeverajedevera Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm looking forward to a career in Network/System Administration. What do you think is the best certification needed for the job?

Comments

• mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    If this is the career you want to do, you really have to be looking at MCSA or MCSE.

The difference being that MCSA's are able to efficiently administer and trouble shoot Microsoft networks and MCSE's are able to do the same but also design network directory/infrastructure solutions.
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    Here's what the 2003 annual reader survey at CertiCities.com has to say:
    http://www.certcities.com/editorial/features/story.asp?EditorialsID=76

Like any other survey, use this as a reference point. Read up on each one and then define what would best suit your needs, your wishes, your goals. In other words, what would fit YOU right.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^ thanks for the link, I added it to my favorites
    No problem ... whats set to happen on 4/27?
  • jedeverajedevera Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. This is a great idea.
  • Rebound86Rebound86 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i dont think you can lable 1 cert as "the best" from what i understand they are all different and they each go into different areas with a different amount of attention to detail. I am doing my CCNA atm and will continue on to my CCNP form there i will look into a microsoft course or god forbid the dreded CCIE that i hear so much about. Its just depends on which path your intrested in pic the cert that you think you will enjoy and get the most out of. its not a big help i know but its the truth. i am a firm beliver in the dont do a job that you hate all the time" theory no job is going to be exciting or fun 100% of the time, i mean serioulsy can any1 in this forum tell me that they have never had a day at work where they didnt want to just throw in the towel. By the same token dont do a job that is boring or dull 100% of the time, if you are doing a cert and it just dont intrest you at all then you are probley not going to like the job it lands you.

bascaly jobless summed it up do what fits you

gl picking a cert
    I started with nothing ...... I still have most of it.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it's the new release date for ghostface killahs upcoming cd...

http://www.defjam.com/ghostface/teaser2004/home.las

coming to a store near you
    Rebound86 wrote:
    i mean serioulsy can any1 in this forum tell me that they have never had a day at work where they didnt want to just throw in the towel.

I worked one whole year as IT Tech support for a girls dorm at Virginia Tech. And believe me, I worked ALL day and at different hours. There was the usual 9 - 5 and then there were the numerous 12 - <break of dawn> ;);)

*sigh* I wish I never graduated
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    depends what kind of admin you are doing or expect to do. mcsa seems like a good choice for a network admin, but if you job also includes helping people with the likes of m$ office and stuff, m$ have a helpdesk cert too (two exams).
    A+ Moderator
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119

*sigh* I wish I never graduated

unless of course they transfered you to the boys dorm icon_cry.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.