cisco 2600 Router question...

Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok guys, I have dont some research on this, and I feel confident about asking this as I cant seem to figure it out
Cisco 2600 router with IOS 12.1 and higher will support encapsulation.

Here is my config and what I am doing. Basically I am performing the "router on a stick" method
[ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 21 hours, 20 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5a.bin"

cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 27648K/5120K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAD06040E39 (2429809410)
M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102]

[Router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#int fa0/0.1
Router(config-subif)#encap
Router(config-subif)#encap?
% Unrecognized command
Router(config-subif)#encap]

Not sure why its not using this command.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
Chris Knight
Real Genius

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    [Edited]

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml in the mean time, I thought it was the encapsulation, but now I think it might actually be the IOS version.

Added: Yes, the problem is with the version of your IOS. You need at the minimum IP Plus feature set on 12.2(8 ) T release or later. Also, it seems like no such image will be supported with your 32/8 configuration, you will need to upgrade the memory as well.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm they are running encapsulation dot1q using there scenario...

We are using the Cisco 2600 router to do the Inter-VLAN routing between VLAN1 and VLAN2. Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2940/2950/2970 series switches are Layer 2 (L2) switches, and are not capable of routing or communicating between the VLANs. For further details on Inter-VLAN routing, refer to the Routing Between Virtual LANs Overview chapter of the Cisco IOS® Switching Services Configuration Guide, Release 12.1.

To create the examples in this document, we used the following switches in a lab environment with cleared configurations:

Catalyst 3512XL switch running Cisco IOS 12.0(5.x)XU

Cisco 2621 router running Cisco IOS 12.1(3)T

Cisco 2621 router running Cisco IOS 12.1(1)T

Also according to the table
    Cisco 2621

11.3(3a)T

12.0(1)T

IP PLUS / IP PLUS

I have 12.0(1)T and higher. The min feature set for isl and 8021q is the ip plus /ip plus...

So why wouldnt mine work?
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    Because they have IP plus feature set, your image is higher release but only with IP feature set.
    What is the IP feature set?

I was under the impression that if I wanted to use both dot1q and ISL I need to ip plus /ip plus.

I dont care about ISL I only want to use dot1q
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I = Ip only feature set

M=run from memory

So I take it to have IP PLUS it would show something other than "I" listed?
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    I have no problem helping people, I really dont. But I can only help those who help themselves. Look at your sh ver and the POST messages. Please read all the relevant information and stop trying to take a shortcut!
    Router uptime is 21 hours, 20 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5a.bin"

cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 27648K/5120K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID JAD06040E39 (2429809410)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

You're running 12.2(5)a with IP feature set on a 2621.
    What is the IP feature set?

I was under the impression that if I wanted to use both dot1q and ISL I need to ip plus /ip plus.

The way IOS works is that it is comprised of features organized into feature sets under release versions for a platform. IEEE 802.1q is a FEATURE, which requires the IP PLUS feature set under which can only be found in certain releases for certain platforms

Your platform is okay, your release version is probably okay, but YOUR FEATURE SET IS NOT!
    Bighorn my apologies, I have never ever flashed a router/switch before in my life. So I could only tell you the basics on what the letters and numbers were comprised of in the IOS

I had no idea you could DL some many diff features in an IOS, or features.
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
    this is the link I used for all the references to features and IOS versions.

There must be hundreds of different IOS's for EVERY model & series of cisco devices.

The same IOS release & feature set can have different features if it is used on a different platform. Be very aware!
    Thanks for the info :D

WOW icon_eek.gif talk about revisions
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bighorn my apologies, I have never ever flashed a router/switch before in my life. So I could only tell you the basics on what the letters and numbers were comprised of in the IOS

I had no idea you could DL some many diff features in an IOS, or features.

the IP PLUS IOS version is coded like c2600-is-something.

or you can search in CCNA forum posted by mgeorge.
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23590
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang it!!! Seems like you guys beat me too it!!! icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1