Maximum Length for Wireless Access Point

cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
How do I figure out max length for a wireless internet signal using a 802.11g standard?

This in reference to an earlier thread I made about network diagrams.

I basically have a two-story, 62 room motel. From one end of the motel to the other spans about 330 feet. If I need a signal to reach both stories and all over the motel, how many access points do you think I would need? Where do you think I should place them?

Is there an easy way to do the math and figure out what I will need? I'm new to this and would appreciate your help.

Thanks again!

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For 802.11g in an open air environment will give you 54mb/s up o 90 feet or so, but it drops off fast when there are walls or other things in the way, I think it will max out around 300ft at 6mb/2 or so.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AFAIK, there isn't a magical equation to do what you are asking. The are many factors that come into play when trying to determine the number of WAPs to use and their spacing. One of the most important I believe would be Line of Sight. Which includes the number of walls, type of walls etc that the signal has to go through.

I think you will be better off getting one or two AP and going onsite to see what kind of coverage you get with them. Then you may be able to get a better guesstimate on the total number needed as well as optimal placement.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The only way to know for sure is to do a site survey with the equipment that you intend to deploy. Place a single WAP at the site and check it's signal using a laptop or a signal strength meter. The signal strength will vary depending upon the WAP's transmission power, the antenna used, receiver's location with respect to the transmitting antenna, interference from other 2.4GHz radio sources, and reflection/absorption from metal walls, window blinds, water, etc. Use multiple WAPs to check how their signals cover a larger area. After doing this for a while you'll wish that it were possible for humans to see radio waves.

Google "802.11 Site Survey" for lots of information on performing site surveys.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience while on a business trip. I live in a Daily Inn which more like a motel. My room is at the end of the building. And the DSL router and booster is at the Orderly room at the other side of the building. I get the bar, but no transfer signal at all. I brought my laptop and walked toward to the building until I got both signal and transfer rate.

It is sxxk when the good hotel is full because of the conference. Another lesson learning was always follow up with the co-worker when your secretary wasn't the one that made the reservation.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info everyone. I have learned a great deal just from reading this thread. I did regret to mention that this was only in theory and for a project I had for one of my networking classes. I was just asking that question thinking it would be a simple answer but I'm glad I got the responses I did.

For this project, I wasn't expected to factor in any of those points at all because the only way would be to have a real site. So, i guess my question was disregarding any other potential outside factors like interference, the thickness of the walls, etc, what is a good measuring stick to find out how long of a distance an AP can carry?

Thanks again everyone!