Project+ next to die?!

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
With I-Net+ going away in December, does anyone else think Project+ will be next?
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't really thought about it until now but it is a possiblity I guess. What about CTT+, CDIA+, or Convergence+? They don't seem to be very popular IMHO any way but I guess they could have the own niche.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with sthomas about them having their own niche. In fact, I recently received a survey for updating the project+, so who knows. I have also received a feasibility survey for a forensics exam, so it looks like CompTIA may be branching out into more arenas.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    sthomas wrote:
    I haven't really thought about it until now but it is a possiblity I guess. What about CTT+, CDIA+, or Convergence+? They don't seem to be very popular IMHO any way but I guess they could have the own niche.

Actually, CDIA+ is VERY big in the document imaging/output industries. I've heard of some sizable niches for CTT+ and Convergence+ as well.

I think Project+ has just been poorly marketed by CompTIA. I really think it should be regarded somewhat like a "baby PMP".
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree, it's not even in the same league as PMP which requires actual experience. It would be interesting to see it compared "in the field" to CAPM (also from PMI but without the experience requirements) to see which has a higher profile in IT/HR.
  • The TempestThe Tempest Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would infer that I-Net+ has died due to the fact that the testing objectives are more than covered in other certification areas, namely Network+ and Security+.

Project+ however is not really covered in any other CompTIA exam and therefore will be around for some time.
  • jay754jay754 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All
    Looks like Project+ is staying around. On the Prometric booking site there is an option to book beta exam PK1-003 for about a quarter of the price for the Project+ (2003 objectives). A search of the CompTIA site for PK1-003 returns nothing so guessing it's invite only.

Found on a Russian site of all places that it goes live today !

Òåñò CompTIA - PK1-003 CompTIA Project+ Beta Exam
  • joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jay754 wrote: »
    All
    Looks like Project+ is staying around. On the Prometric booking site there is an option to book beta exam PK1-003 for about a quarter of the price for the Project+ (2003 objectives). A search of the CompTIA site for PK1-003 returns nothing so guessing it's invite only.

Found on a Russian site of all places that it goes live today !

Òåñò CompTIA - PK1-003 CompTIA Project+ Beta Exam

A couple of weeks ago on the CompTia site they had up the link to the form if you were interested in taking the Beta. I think it was taken down a little over a week ago so they must have reached their limit.
    justus1 wrote: »
    I agree with sthomas about them having their own niche. In fact, I recently received a survey for updating the project+, so who knows. I have also received a feasibility survey for a forensics exam, so it looks like CompTIA may be branching out into more arenas.

I would love for CompTia to offer a forensics exam. I have been really looking hard at going in the the forensics field, especially since a large part of my Server environment experience and IT work over the last two years has been within the law enforcement field.
  • jay754jay754 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @joecontreras, yeah my Google search found the link to the beta form page but the link takes you to the main Project+ details page now.

Think I'd like to see them do a forensics exam too as I've been doing some study on forensics in between other exams and would make a great entry level cert for the field.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I'd think the RFDI or whatever that one is, would be on the chopping block if any of them. I like the forensics idea, though it's probably not a big field right now.

At least with Convergence+ you get telephony.. otherwise it's Net+ all over again.

They could consider offering Tier 2 exams for their more popular certifications like A+ and Network+. That might make them some money.. people wanting to get a Tier 2 A+ or A++ or something.

I am not sure what else they would offer that would be popular enough across the board to be worth it.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    jay754 wrote: »
    Think I'd like to see them do a forensics exam too as I've been doing some study on forensics in between other exams and would make a great entry level cert for the field.
    Computer forensics is a very specialized and professional field. There are already several computer forensics certs, and none of them are close to being entry-level. Even the computer forensics classes offered at universities are quite broad and complex in the material they cover, and the professional training is quite rigorous and extensive. So all that being considered, I'm not sure that an entry-level forensics cert would hold much value to the field.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Computer forensics is a very specialized and professional field. There are already several computer forensics certs, and none of them are close to being entry-level. Even the computer forensics classes offered at universities are quite broad and complex in the material they cover, and the professional training is quite rigorous and extensive. So all that being considered, I'm not sure that an entry-level forensics cert would hold much value to the field.

Good point. I did some looking around and a lot of the Universities in my area actually offer a BS degree in Computer Forensics. May be just a CIT degree with a Minor in Forensics but the course listing for the forensics portion covered many classes and some seemed very in-depth.

That said, there could be a need for a entry level forensics certification from what I see. Smaller local police departments or small to medium sized business that have a small IT staff could possibly benefit from an entry level Forensics employee.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    That said, there could be a need for a entry level forensics certification from what I see. Smaller local police departments or small to medium sized business that have a small IT staff could possibly benefit from an entry level Forensics employee.
    My local police department requires that all of their forensic techs (including entry-level) have either a law degree, be a graduate of a police academy, or have equivalent military experience. There is so much more to computer forensics than just finding and extracting hidden data from hard drives--even at the lab technician level.
    They could consider adding a certification for handheld devices like Blackberry's. It's definitely a growing market and the help desk guys here at my work handle the Blackberry's for our company. I wouldn't mind learning all the innards and protocols that go with it.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    RIM has already launched a number of certs for Blackberry including ones like you're talking about - check them out. :)
    Holy crap, how did I miss these...

It looks like so far only training is classroom, where you got to sell a kidney to afford to go. I'll wait for a book to come out.

Thanks for showing me though
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    CompTIA's DHTI+ cert died first :)

It was retired on December 31st.

I have this habit of buying cert books months in advance before I sit for a exam. I had other certs I wanted to get first but I bought a book for DHTI+ and got it this week in the mail...couple days later I find out the exam is retired. Darn.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah but you got until March 31 to take it.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    but whywould you want a dead cert?

and regardless, how is DHTI worth anything? apparently it wasnt if it died.