Options

security+ classes?

spree610spree610 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm wondering how much I should expect from a security+ class. My company is sending me to one for a week and I'm curious what everyones experience with classes are.

Also, I'm in the middle of studying for my 70-621 MCDST upgrade to Vista right now and wonder if i should shelf that until I complete the security+.
"The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing just what it is that I do."

Next stop 70-291, 70-648, 70-646

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Spree:

Where are you taking the class? I did a Sec+ class at New Horizons back a few years ago, I think in 2003. It was okay, but a 1 week class won't prepare you for the exam, it just hits the highlights.

This is one exam that I highly recommend at least 3 resourses for - the Sybex OR Syngress book, a smaller portable book like Myers OR Exam Cram, and finally be sure to reference everything with the TechNotes here, which are very good. I printed them out and went over them with highlighter while studying.

Security+ has a lot of memorization of encryption methods, hashing functions, access controls, and other stuff you can't "practice" at, you just have to study. While the various Cisco/MS exams can be learned "hands-on", Sec+ can't. So if you want to do the Sec+, my personal recommendation is to hold off on the 621, but that is just my opinion. You may be able to do both at once, but my level of concentration and attention span makes it hard enough to do one thing at a time.

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    spree610spree610 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to a local training company called Knology. They are on the gov contract. I dont know anyone who has taken any classes with them.

Thanks for the info on the books. only problem I'm having is I havent seen any books that were published since the 2007 exam came out.
    "The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing just what it is that I do."

Next stop 70-291, 70-648, 70-646