Cat 5 question

borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, was wondering what the real answer is to the question whether cat 5 or cat 5e is the minimum required for gigabit support over copper, I've seen different places have different answers where some say cat 5 is ok, others say 5e. Wikipedia says:
It is most commonly used for 100 Mbit/s networks, such as 100BASE-TX Ethernet, although IEEE 802.3ab defines standards for 1000BASE-T - Gigabit Ethernet over category 5 cable.

So I was wondering what the Cisco answer would be?

Comments

• phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Page 290 in the Cisco Press 640-821 says that 5 has max speed of 1000. It also lists 5e as max speed of 1000, but notes that it is better for gigE networks.

I'd guess to say 5e. I know if a customer came to me and wanted a gigE network built it'd be done using CAT6, but 5e would be an option if cost really came down to it (even though it is pennys in difference).
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    cat5e for gigabit.. i forget why but somethin is telling me that cat5e has a few minor enhancements that allow for it.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It has to do with the pair twistrate.
  • t49t49 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    borumas wrote:
    Hey guys, was wondering what the real answer is to the question whether cat 5 or cat 5e is the minimum required for gigabit support over copper, I've seen different places have different answers where some say cat 5 is ok, others say 5e. Wikipedia says:
    It is most commonly used for 100 Mbit/s networks, such as 100BASE-TX Ethernet, although IEEE 802.3ab defines standards for 1000BASE-T - Gigabit Ethernet over category 5 cable.

So I was wondering what the Cisco answer would be?

Cat5e is getting old. 1000mbs or gigabit

Cat5 is older. 100mbs.

For those that talk tech slang we usually say cat5 when we are talking about cat5e because no one uses the old cat5 cable for data installations.

So the answer technically would be cat5e
    Hope that helps.
  • ganjgrgganjgrg Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey,
    if you have to choose between 5 or 5e than i would say 5e. 5e mean enhanced category 5. but personally, i would prefer cat 6 if i have to install myself for the office. Mind you, there is a bit of a problem during cat 6 installation. cat 5 or 5e are flexible cables and cat 6 is rather hard and stiff and very sensitive. during the installation process, if there are bends that you need to pass, than there may be problem while testing the links. you will face problems with NEXT, ATTENUATION things like that.
    my best solution would be to use cat 5e cables for any installation because it is flexible and has the characteristics to support many networks.
    ganj
  • deebomdeebom Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cat 5e is the stadard now, I spend a lot of time removing old cat5 and repacing with cat5e, cat 6 is mostley used for switch links and suchlike, thank god, cos pulling cat5 is hard work and as said above, cat6 is thick and HEAVY. and am not interested in work getting harder:D
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    deebom wrote:
    Cat 5e is the stadard now, I spend a lot of time removing old cat5 and repacing with cat5e, cat 6 is mostley used for switch links and suchlike, thank god, cos pulling cat5 is hard work and as said above, cat6 is thick and HEAVY. and am not interested in work getting harder:D

Pulling 400Kmil copper through 500 feet of conduit is hard work, pulling Cat5e is easy in comparison.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'd guess to say 5e. I know if a customer came to me and wanted a gigE network built it'd be done using CAT6,

I agree with you...somewhat.

Anyone who has ever worked extensively with CAT6 knows it can be a royal PITA, for multiple reasons. If a customer was talking about a smaller installation that would not likely grow much in the future, I would definitely chose CAT5e over CAT6 and save myself some hassle.

For a network that could expand greatly and could possibly have a need to expand to 10 Gig (In a newly constructed building, for example), then I would say CAT6.

Just saying...
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    A problem I run into when dealing with cat5 cabling is that some of them don't say if they are regular cat5 or cat5e. The writing on the cabling usually doesn't say which. Is there something to look for or have I just been running into a lot of old cat5 cables?

As for some of the confusion between Gigabit over regular cat5 cables, I think that one Gigabit standard used all four pairs to transfer data but it was replaced with tighter twisted cat5e cable that transferred over two pairs. I don't remember the 1000Base rating but I remember reading it in Network+ .
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Everything you ever wanted to know (and probably a lot more) about the Cat-5 vs Cat-5e debate. And no I have nothing further to add. ;)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35851