Options

Problem with hhtp browsing

mgt0319mgt0319 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Description of our LAN network:
Our office is composed of 35 employees. Our office is divided into 7 groups. Each group is composed of 5 employees and connected via hub. Each PC is installed with xp pro. Each hub is connected to a single Catalyst 1900 series, 24 port switch.
The switch is connected to a 100mbps port to a Firebox X. We have two file servers also directly connected to the switch. The Firebox X is connected to ISP with a CIR of 334Kbps and burst speed of 1Mbps.

Problem
Our problem is that, we are experiencing network congestion in accessing the web specially when most employees use http (video streaming application). Our office would like to rectify this problem. What are most important things to do? Do we need to upgrade our HW? ISP speed etc?

I will be very grateful for (any) your recommendations and comments.

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Faster internet connetion and replace the hubs with switches.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    let he said. Get rid off the hubs. The hubs are just creating a huge collision domain
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    mgt0319mgt0319 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your reply.
    What cisco model would be best to replace the hubs?
    Do we also need to replace the main switch with 100baseT per port, because I think the existing is only 10BaseT?
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hhtp a new protocol? :P

Yes, upgrading your layer 2 infrastructure will have a massive effect on performance. I would reccommend at the very least getting some 100mb switches (not hubs) and throwing them in the mix.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol he had to throw in the OSI

Why do you need to have Cisco switches? can't you keep the cost down and just use any other switch

Or am I right in thinking Cisco switches come with magical powers and allow your packets to do a hell of a lot more stuff

icon_lol.gif
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Lol he had to throw in the OSI

Why do you need to have Cisco switches? can't you keep the cost down and just use any other switch

Or am I right in thinking Cisco switches come with magical powers and allow your packets to do a hell of a lot more stuff

icon_lol.gif

Begone dark one, question not the O that is Cisc

Cisco's are extremely reliable, depending on the IOS version have just about every switch feature and protocol under the sun and very good backplane bandwidth (just because a switch has 24x100Mb ports does not mean it can run them all at max. capacity at the same time, backplane capacity can limit it, not so with Cisco models (and other decent vendors too)). Still they aren't cheap. In our environment (and limited budget) I tend to get Cisco's for server and critical segments then decent managed Netgears (FSM726 is quite good) for the less busy/critical areas to save on cost.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?