Spyware/Antivirus Suggestions

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Suggestion on spyware/antivirus software bundle.

I am currently looking at webroot.

We are using Norton for our clients and would like to move away from Norton due to all the resources it takes up.

This would be for around 100 database servers that we maintain.

Things I dont like about Norton...

Resource Hog.
Worm Protection causes database scripts not to run
Script protection does basically the same thing.
No current Spyware software.

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where I work we use CA AV and Pest Patrol. I have been happy with it.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ESET NOD32 -- http://www.eset.com

Gets my stamp of approval.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Nod does Antispyware as well? We use Nod32 enterprise here and I just loaded all the modules.

I am very pleased with it as well. I didn't know that it had a spyware agent too.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    Nod does Antispyware as well? We use Nod32 enterprise here and I just loaded all the modules.

I am very pleased with it as well. I didn't know that it had a spyware agent too.
    I may be wrong but I believe that's part of what the IMON scans for. As a backup, we've deployed Windows Defender out via GP.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    If you want your A/V and A/S to come from the same company, Kaspersky Lab's products always do very well in A/V/S tests. I use the free versions on most of my systems.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Symantec really blew big time up to 10.x

Symantec 11 is actually pretty good, they got rid of their engine and are using the Sygate code they bought, and is not nearly as bloated as earlier symantec.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First get rid of Norton ASAP I cannot stress how much of a Piece of s*** and resource hog this software package is.

The only new features this package brings to the table with each release is that the guy on the cover gets more wrinkles lol

I would suggest Clamwin although it's open source it works and it's free only problem is it takes a damm age to scan. Not what you want in a business environment.

We have started using Avast here it seems to be pretty good although I also run it in conjunction with a few spyware removal programs such as spyblaster and spybot.

AVG is also good :)

Do you have a proxy in place where you work? Also do you edit your Hosts files for extra security?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "