Can someone explain to me why I can ping a PC but cannot UNC

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I can ping a PC but I cannot UNC into it. Can someone give me suggestions?
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Pinging is simply a test of connection. OK, it's connected, so you can reach it. Now what?
    Several things to mention:
    Are you typing in \\servername\sharename?
    Has the file been set up for sharing?
    Do you have the right permissions?
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    Pinging is simply a test of connection. OK, it's connected, so you can reach it. Now what?
    yup.

I was able to UNC when I was at home. I have now created a PPTP VPN which connects me to my house. I can ping everything on my network but I cannot UNC into it.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nice343 wrote:
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    yup.

I was able to UNC when I was at home. I have now created a PPTP VPN which connects me to my house. I can ping everything on my network but I cannot UNC into it.

What account are you logged in with on the other side of the tunnel? Are you pinging by IP? Can you remotely connect using the IP Address like \\x.x.x.x\share? If you can do that, then the issue is name resolution. Your remote network DNS\WINS servers obviously don't know about your computer's name at your house.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    nice343 wrote:
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    yup.

What account are you logged in with on the other side of the tunnel? Are you pinging by IP? Can you remotely connect using the IP Address like \\x.x.x.x\share? If you can do that, then the issue is name resolution. Your remote network DNS\WINS servers obviously don't know about your computer's name at your house.

I am logged in with an account that I created on cisco router and I am also pinging by IP
    nice343 wrote:
    I am logged in with an account that I created on cisco router and I am also pinging by IP

Try to connect to the share using the IP Address instead of the computer name:

\\10.10.10.10\share

It should prompt you for a user name as the computer has no idea of who you are, it sees the credentials you are logged onto your other computer with, not the account on the Cisco router you created the tunnel with.

If you have a Windows server, you can tell the router to use radius authentication.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    nice343 wrote:

Try to connect to the share using the IP Address instead of the computer name:

\\10.10.10.10\share

It should prompt you for a user name as the computer has no idea of who you are, it sees the credentials you are logged onto your other computer with, not the account on the Cisco router you created the tunnel with.

If you have a Windows server, you can tell the router to use radius authentication.

I understand what you are saying but I was already doing that and still wouldn't work

the computer I am trying to connect to over the internet is a Windows Vista PC. When I type

\\10.1.4.2\share it gives me an erroe even though I can ping 10.1.4.2
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Well since it seems like you cant pass authentication to it at all, there must be some sort of firewall in the way thats stopping this. Either your Cisco box or Windows Firewall. Not sure what exceptions need to be allowed for this type of operation but I am pretty sure this is where your hitting a roadblock.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    nice343 wrote:
    it gives me an erroe even though I can ping 10.1.4.2

Can you give us a clue as to what the error is???
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Is the 10.1.4.2 also in use on your remote network, and maybe you are pinging that computer and not the one at your home? Otherwise check any firewall and other ACL's as suggested above.

Even though you have established a tunnel between your remote computer and your router, you may still need to create the necessary access rules to allow connectivity. A universal ping rule might be why you can ping but not connect. Just some thoughts.
    My home computer uses private Ip addressing, remote computer uses public addresses scheme.

When I ping 10.1.4.2 I know I am not pinging any computer in my remote network because we use public addresses

ping.jpg

the error looks like this when I try to UNC
    error.jpg
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Try to net view

net view \\server

What's the system error number?
    (Probably 53)

You can check for system error info at the following sites:
    www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
    www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibaled1.htm
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Is it on the same subnet?
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    Try to net view

net view \\server

What's the system error number?
    (Probably 53)

You can check for system error info at the following sites:
    www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
    www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibaled1.htm

Problem solved. Thanks for your response