Options

VTP, vlan port assignments

fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does VTP also transfer port assignments, or does it only tranfers the vlans themselves?

I am playing around in netsim, and if i set up a switch as vtp server and trunk link to a vtp client, the port assignments I establish on the vtp server will be passed to the client.

To me this seems like odd behavior, since every switch could potentially have different port assignments, why would vtp pass that information?
I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit

Comments

• Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    VTP does not transfer port assignments.
  • Options
    then is this a bug in netsim version that I am using? because it does this behaviour consistenly
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I just read a switching book by cisco and it stated VTP advertisements only transfer vlan database information not port information.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mobri09 wrote:
    VTP does not transfer port assignments.
    icon_thumright.gif
    mobri09 wrote:
    I just read a switching book by cisco and it stated VTP advertisements only transfer vlan database information not port information.
    icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
    fonque wrote:
    then is this a bug in netsim version that I am using? because it does this behaviour consistenly
    If it isn't operator error, then it sounds like a bug in netsim.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm...

In the simulator I am running (boson) the thing passes ports and vlan information.

On switchA I configured it as a VTP server with a domain and password. Created two vlans, 100 and 101 on this switch. I assigned the fa0/11 on the switch as a trunk pork (switchport mode trunk). I also added int range fa0/1 - 4 to switchport access vlan 100.

int range fa0/5 - 10 were vlan 101.

On the other switch, switchB, I set it as vtp client and matched the domain and password as switchA. Set int fa0/11 to switchport mode trunk and then checked the vlan brief. The switch now showed the vlans that were assigned.

Show run indicated that the ports 0/1 - 4 were on 100 and fa0/5 - 10 were 101. I did not configure ANY interfaces on the client switch.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    amd phreak wrote:
    In the simulator I am running (boson) the thing passes ports and vlan information.
    Bad Simulator! Bad! Bad!

Make sure you've upgraded to the "latest greatest version" and submit a bug report -- maybe they'll fix it in release 10.0

You might want to try creating the trunk first, configuring VTP, and then modifying the VLAN database, and then configure some ports into VLANs and see what happens (versus what really should happen).

Other things to try
    -- save, close, and open and reload -- may magically work
    -- clear the config on the 2nd switch and reload, and try the trunk & VTP configuration again and see what happens that time
    -- beg, borrow, rent some rack time on real equipment
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah not worried about it.

If I need access I have plenty of gear at my disposal.

I thought it was interesting.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Geez... could you imagine if VTP did that in a live environment? Damn, at my gig, there'd be hell to pay.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    lol...it wouldn't make sense for VTP to transfer port assignments, they would be different ports on different switches...the whole point is to group the ports LOGICALLY...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What would happen if a 24 port switch was the server and a 48 port switch was the client, oh no, I can only use the first 24 ports?

VTP only transfers the VLANs, names, status and other parmeters, but not the port assignments. VTP updates are only sent on trunk links to other switches.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    thank you for confirming that im not crazy. I'm going to conclude this is indeed a bug.

And I know I am using an old version of netsim. Its like 5.something.
    I will buy a better simulator when I go after the CCNP. No point in upgrading CCNA software since Im taking the test tomorrow.