Monitor Employee's Http traffic

TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
Anyone know of a decent program to log http traffic?

Can be office wide, but they are looking to monitor one specific employee.

Thanks.
On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Might want to check the laws in your state. Most times it is illegal to monitor a single employee, but legal to monitor everyone equally across the board.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    there are tons of different options out there, im partial to websense for logging, restricting, etc.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    lex0429 wrote:
    there are tons of different options out there, im partial to websense for logging, restricting, etc.
    I am already dealing with a rep for websense, just looking for other alternates that are less of a cost committment.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Websense is da shiznit
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Another vote here for Websense. I evaluated.. BlueCoat? at one point and it seemed ok. But I stayed with WS and am still using it now.

-Travis
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    SmartFilter. Integrates with the ASA like Websense.

Great Reporting tools. Much less expensive.

http://www.securecomputing.com/index.cfm?skey=85
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are there any open source alternatives which can do the same thing?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Squid could do it, but it's a lot more work than a drop in solution like Blue Coat or Web Sense.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Heres another vote for Websense!

I have seen people use wireshark to capture then filter HTTP traffic....
  • 535irob535irob Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use St. Bernard appliances....
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use Websense as well...but a lot of times i will put wireshark on our internal DNS servers to see what translations are flying around. I set the filter for DNS only...it's a quick and dirty way.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We used Websense until recently but are now changing to a Barracuda Web Filter instead. Cheaper, integrated hardware unit so no extra server or OS licensing costs, and it adds a lot of anti-exploit and malware protection (incl. an active-x temporaroly-downloadable Spyware cleaner that can be set to automatically trigger when a client shows signs of infection). It can be placed transparently in front of your firewall or set as a std. proxy, though the former gives better protection and requires no extra configuration on your clients or firewall. All in all a very nice little unit and we've already had a very positive experience with their Spam firewall so I have a lot of faith in it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote:
    We used Websense until recently but are now changing to a Barracuda Web Filter instead. Cheaper, integrated hardware unit so no extra server or OS licensing costs, and it adds a lot of anti-exploit and malware protection (incl. an active-x temporaroly-downloadable Spyware cleaner that can be set to automatically trigger when a client shows signs of infection). It can be placed transparently in front of your firewall or set as a std. proxy, though the former gives better protection and requires no extra configuration on your clients or firewall. All in all a very nice little unit and we've already had a very positive experience with their Spam firewall so I have a lot of faith in it.

Im with you here Ahriakin, we have 3 boxes, 2 for email filtering and one for web filtering. Barracuda is an awesome solution.

Bluecoat web screening is also good, can be added to a juniper firewall screening function aswell....

But! Im with Netstudent for the quick and easy...and free, Wireshark is joint first with vmware for the best software ever written!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya we have a barracuda spam filter as well. I like it. It's loud as hell though.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!