Options

is TCP/IP a big topic on 291?

eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
Hi guys, I just barely started studying for the beast and don't want to waste my time on topics that are not very crucial. I have the basic knowledge of TCP/IP. I studied it for my Net+ couple of years ago.

Do I need an indept knowledge of TCP/IP for the 291 exams? Are there lots of subnetting questions? I'd like to focus more on important stuff like DNS, IPSEC and RRAS.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
Illinois Institute of Technology

Comments

• Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    You need to have pretty good knowledge of tcp-ip for this One. You need very good knowledge of Ms implemantation of tcp-ip.
    Typically, you wont have direct questions like how many hosts and subnets in this network or such.
    But you'll get many questions in wich subnetting correctly is part of the answer. It wont be the answer but you need to be able to do it to find the correct answer.

Hope that makes sense.

Btw, you should learn it cause its pretty crucial to a lot of things in IT. If you plan on being a sysadmin or network admin, even help desk, theres very good chance its gonna be crucial to your work. Or at least helpful.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    And Good luck in your studies !
    :D
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    doom969 wrote:
    Typically, you wont have direct questions like how many hosts and subnets in this network or such. But you'll get many questions in wich subnetting correctly is part of the answer. It wont be the answer but you need to be able to do it to find the correct answer.

Exactly what I was going to reply with. You may have one or two questions directly about subnetting, but a majority of the subnetting knowledge is used to figure out the final answer.

Happy studying! icon_study.gif