Options

dns

just a quick one, I dont think it does but does DNS have to live on a DC? My main ones in and running on a dc with dns working ok but I'm trying to make a second DNS for redundancy.

cheers
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    just a quick one, I dont think it does but does DNS have to live on a DC? My main ones in and running on a dc with dns working ok but I'm trying to make a second DNS for redundancy.

cheers

it doesn't have to run on a DC. The advantage to using it on a DC is you can replicate the information as part of AD replication

in your case it makes sense to have it on another DC depending on how your DNS is configured.... ie is it set up to store the DNS info in active directory already.

if not just build a standard secondary box if it is already stored in AD you might as well setup your other DC to take advantage of this (after all you probalby have more than one DC or you should for redundancy)
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    I want to add a 2nd DC to my virtual domain so that will get DNS too ( and it will just be the read only copy me assumes? )

when it was just a member it would load from the master so I assumed this was why it wouldnt populate.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    Sanger80Sanger80 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never mind......... :)
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    As mentioned by Smallguy, DNS is not only restricted to live on a Domain Controller. You can have a member server that has a DNS role that is getting the DNS Database replicated to it (all "Standard Zones" -- Primary Zone, Secondary Zone, Stub Zone) -- just remember to enable the ability for a zone transfer by adding the computer to the Name Servers list icon_wink.gif

If you want to have a DNS server that hosts Active Directory-Integrated (AD-I) Zones, then it must be a Domain Controller.

I want to add a 2nd DC to my virtual domain so that will get DNS too ( and it will just be the read only copy me assumes? )

All "AD-I" Zones on Domain Controllers are Read/Write copies -- exactly like a standard Primary Zone.