70-291 how hard is it ?

Hektik1nHektik1n Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I noticed most people on this forum refer to this test being difficult, can someone clearify what is so difficult about this. What makes this test so hard ?

I am currently going to start preping / studying for this exam and wanted to see why people say this test is so hard. Also, is there any other test i should maybe look and maybe even take before the 70-291, as a pre req... I have passed 70-270, and 70-290. Would network+ help out with the 70-291 ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Some of the things you see on Network+ would probably help with 70-291. However, the difficulty of the test comes from the fact that each topic covered is huge. There's a lot to DNS, a lot to RRAS, you have to know a good deal about DHCP and security issues. There's also a hefty chunk of straight-up networking topics like subnetting, that sort of thing. In reality, the only other exam that can really buffer you from having to learn just about everything covered in 70-291 from scratch is something like CCNA, giving you a solid foundation in subnetting, routing, and other networking topics. Of course, as anyone can tell you, the CCNA is no walk in the park, either.

Basically, one exam can help you prepare for the other, but neither is easy. Since you're on the MCSA/MCSE path, stick to studying the 70-291 topics, and make sure you really nail them down before testing. A lot of people were taken off-guard by how much better they needed to master the material for this exam, in comparison to previous tests. You'll also be building on a good portion of what was covered in 70-290, taking those concepts further as you learn about network infrastructure beyond the stand-alone Windows Server 2003 operating system.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Download and try the demo Transcender 70-291 exam and see if that answers your question:

http://www.transcender.com/demos/

Also check out this sites 10 practice questions:

http://www.techexams.net/msexam/start.php?exam=70291

Oh, and slowhand was right on the money with his answer, but forgot to mention WSUS as a major topic as well.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    And don't forget the invaluable thread about 291 resources:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21736
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget to do your Lab Practice with WSUS, this covers a big part in the 291 exam.

Make sure when you study DNS that you actually try it on your home lab, this will give you a good understanding of how DNS works.
  • ip2hostip2host Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to tell you one thing..
    I have just finished prep of 291 and I am taking it on Saturday.
    The MOST difficult part of this exam is DNS. Anything you see in that console ( administrative tools - DNS ) you will have to know by heart. And I mean anything!!
    one step at the time
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Oh, and slowhand was right on the money with his answer, but forgot to mention WSUS as a major topic as well.

Knew I forgot something. I must've been sober when I wrote that last reply. icon_lol.gif

Slowhand wrote:
    Knew I forgot something. I must've been sober when I wrote that last reply. icon_lol.gif

Nah, I spoke with your boss. He says you're never sober. :D
    JK icon_cool.gif
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Nah, I spoke with your boss. He says you're never sober. :D
    JK icon_cool.gif

That's alright, neither is he. drunken_smilie.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif