Test Tips

ultramkultramk Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just took the 70-290 this afternoon. Passed with a 799

I used the Microsoft Training Kit book, Transcender practice exams, and the MeasureUp tests that came with the book. I recommend the book highly not only because it came with the MeasureUp practices (which I believe more closely resembles the actual exam than the Transcender), but it came with a 15% off voucher.

I studied my butt off for the last 4 weeks (about 70 hours of studying??). I came from a Linux-only environment about 6 months ago to this job which is exclusively Windows. And while I was familiar and a competent Windows user I was not "up" on all the admin stuff like Active Directory and ASR Backups.

The best tip I have is absolutely review your answers at the end of the test (they give you a chance to review before you're done and you have plenty of time...took me 1.5 hours out of the 3 they limit you to). Read the questions carefully as they DO try and fool you. This was my first Windows cert. test and the first couple questions I would've totally missed if I hadn't gone back and re-read/fixed them (maybe it was nerves).

Lots of questions about Terminal Services and NTFS/Shared Permissions.

Now onto 70-228...wish me luck...

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums, congrats on the pass and good luck on your next one. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Congratulations! :)
    I plan on taking the test next week...a few quick questions...

Were these exam topics on the test...I heard the are on the exam but sparingly

1)WSUS
    2)WMI and WMIC
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • ultramkultramk Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Goldmember: I think I only had one question on WSUS (and it was an easy one). I didn't get any on WMI/WMIC.
  • titantektitantek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    ultramk wrote:
    The best tip I have is absolutely review your answers at the end of the test (they give you a chance to review before you're done and you have plenty of time...took me 1.5 hours out of the 3 they limit you to). Read the questions carefully as they DO try and fool you. This was my first Windows cert. test and the first couple questions I would've totally missed if I hadn't gone back and re-read/fixed them (maybe it was nerves).

Lots of questions about Terminal Services and NTFS/Shared Permissions.

Now onto 70-228...wish me luck...

I definitely agree with your advice to read the questions carefully. You have 3.5 hours for the test which is way more time than you need, so there is no excuse for rushing through questions and making simple mistakes. Relax, take a breath, and read the entire question before attempting to answer it.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did the Transcender test compare to the live exam for you? I'm working backwards and already have my 70-291, and Transcender was pretty good for that one, although the percentage of WSUS questions was a lot lighter on Transcender than on the real thing for 291.

I did a random Transcender exam last night without giving it 100% of my concentration and still got 89%. Is the real test that easy?
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • NecromansusNecromansus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gratz, and tnx for the info
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bwcarty wrote:
    How did the Transcender test compare to the live exam for you?

I thought Transcender was harder than the actual tests for both 270 and 290.

And congratulations to the OP!