Workgroup Question

rewindrewind Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've got two server2003 machines networked together. Server A is a member of workgroup "One" Server B is a member of workgroup "Two"

On both servers when I browse the Windows network, I see BOTH workgroups and am able to access resouces on the other server. Is this a special feature on Server 2003 that isn't on XP?

Any info is appreciated!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think so. I remember seeing multiple workgroups on XP. That feature probably dates back to 98 or so. I don't think it's anything new.
  • rewindrewind Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response!

Then what is the point of a workgroup if you can see and access resources in computers in a different workgroup? icon_confused.gif
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Does the user account you are using have the same name and password on both servers?
    Claymoore wrote:
    Does the user account you are using have the same name and password on both servers?

Actually yes, I was logged in using the local administrator account with the same password on both computers. Is this why I could see and access both workgroups/computers/resources?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Claymoore wrote:

Actually yes, I was logged in using the local administrator account with the same password on both computers. Is this why I could see and access both workgroups/computers/resources?

Yes. This wouldn't work with an AD domain because the username contains the domain name - domain\user or user@domain - but workgroups don't do that.
    Claymoore wrote:
    Claymoore wrote:

Yes. This wouldn't work with an AD domain because the username contains the domain name - domain\user or user@domain - but workgroups don't do that.

Sweet, thanks! I'm going to try this out when I go home!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Workgroups are just a container for computers on the network. I believe you will still see all workgroups/computers even if there are different local accounts on all the machines. You'll just need to log in with one of the local accounts of the machine you're trying to access.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time screwing with workgroups since they don't have any practical use in enterprise computing. Everything is going to be AD.