Options

A Query On C|EH

Aspiration_2030Aspiration_2030 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are the pre-requisites for a fresher to take up the C|EH exam?

As of now I have done no IT cetfications till date but currently working on 70-270. I know 70-270 has got nothing to do with the 'giant' CEH.. So, Do I need to have any basic certifications before I could started with CEH?

Have been told that we also have practicals for this CEH examination. So, Is it really possible for one to do the preparation by their own? If possible, what are the hardware/software requirements?

Kindly throw in your views regarding this.

By the way, How many questions are there in this exam and wats the pass score? Whats the time split up for finishing the theory part and practicals part of it? (GAWD!! And a lot more queries Lol)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mitchmcsemitchmcse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You do not need any certifications to start on the CEH. However, they do require 2 years security related experience. But then again they do state that if you do not have the 2 years experience to contact them and they may make an exception. As far as the practicals go, you can prepare on your own. Two routes that I can think of on this. First is to look at there website and see what all they want you to learn and research it on your own. Second is to order their official curriculum which is pricey. I ordered the courseware from them thursday morning. Hopefully will have it sometime next week. The exam has 125 questions and you have 3 hours to do it. As far as the hardware/software requirements you can do this on your own. Minimum would be one machine with something like windows 2000 no service packs loaded and either vmware for linux or a second machine. If you have the time and the willingness to study and work at it I see no reason not to due this stelf study. Sure beats $2500 for a week boot camp unless you have the money for it.
  • Options
    mctoffermctoffer Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    However, they do require 2 years security related experience. But then again they do state that if you do not have the 2 years experience to contact them and they may make an exception.

Where do they state this? I understand the 2 yrs. professional security related experience is required, but I have never come across anything to the effect of "they may make an exception".
    First is to look at there website and see what all they want you to learn and research it on your own.

Researching exam objectives is always the first start for any certification. Beware however because CEH exam objectives DO NOT include all knowledge required to pass the exam.

Second is to order their official curriculum which is pricey.

Or you can purchase a third-party book, which is hard to come across. I just picked up this book on Thursday night while out of town. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789735318/002-6321117-9400838?v=glance&n=283155

Another suggested piece of information is to preform a Google search on anything and everything related to the CEH exam, there is some very useful information floating around the internet.

The exam has 125 questions and you have 3 hours to do it.

According to my understanding, you have 2 & 1/2 hours to complete the exam in "English speaking nations", but have 3 hours to complete the exam in "non-English speaking nations". But then again, I don't even know if the United States qualifies as an "English speaking nation" anymore (if ever).

Read:
    The exam 312-50 offered through Prometric Prime is of three hour duration. The exam EC0-350 offered through Prometric APTC is two and a half hours for English speaking countries (US and others) and three hours for Non English speaking countries.

As far as the hardware/software requirements you can do this on your own. Minimum would be one machine with something like windows 2000 no service packs loaded and either vmware for linux or a second machine.

I'd suggest two machines, with access to Windows 2000 and Windows XP. You also need access to multiple Linux variants. Some networking equipment wouldn't hurt either, such as routers, switches, etc...
    If you have the time and the willingness to study and work at it I see no reason not to due this stelf study. Sure beats $2500 for a week boot camp unless you have the money for it.

Even if I had $2,500 to spend, that is certainly not worth the money. If you have a few years experience working with computers and some experience with networks and network security, I see no reason not to self study. It's a hell of a lot cheaper considering most of us probably already have everything we need except maybe some materials such as a book or two...

- Joey
  • Options
    mitchmcsemitchmcse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like they reworded it OpenSource. Earlier this year they did word it 2 years experience. Students without 2 years would need to send in what you did have and they would review it. Which is no longer on their site. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took this one in England before I left and it had a time limit of 3 hours, 125 questions. I had to take it twice and both were very different version, no joke.

I failed with a 65% the first time round' and then passed with a 77% the second time, a week later. After failing the first time I went home, pretty much researched anything I could remember not understanding and concentrated on those weaknesses.

To prepare, I used their official objective list as a checklist. I used google to research every free-related information from the Web that I could possible find. I used the Hacking Revealed series of cd's to get a better understanding. It wasn't quite thorough as anything else I've used or found on the Web for free. I also had a win2kpro machine set up to hack into using some downloaded tools I got for free, the shareware versions most of them and others were simply free.. gotta abide by the EULA that they created. Learn how to use UNIX/Linux and Windows related hacking tools such as Nessus vul tool, Ettercap, Ethereal, HPing2, learn how to read honeypot logs and figure out how to examine those thoroughly. Find out information on the different types of attacks that are available.

There was a little on WEP and wireless hacking but not much, maybe a few questions.

Overall, it took my around a month (plus a few days for practice tests) to prepare for this exam. Do not underestimate it, as I thought I knew something about hacking and I didn't know ****! :)

Good luck!!!

Phil
  • Options
    bhupesh_satyabhupesh_satya Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mitchmcse wrote:
    You do not need any certifications to start on the CEH. However, they do require 2 years security related experience. But then again they do state that if you do not have the 2 years experience to contact them and they may make an exception. As far as the practicals go, you can prepare on your own. Two routes that I can think of on this. First is to look at there website and see what all they want you to learn and research it on your own. Second is to order their official curriculum which is pricey. I ordered the courseware from them thursday morning. Hopefully will have it sometime next week. The exam has 125 questions and you have 3 hours to do it. As far as the hardware/software requirements you can do this on your own. Minimum would be one machine with something like windows 2000 no service packs loaded and either vmware for linux or a second machine. If you have the time and the willingness to study and work at it I see no reason not to due this stelf study. Sure beats $2500 for a week boot camp unless you have the money for it.

Hi mitchmcse,

I have read the requirements for the CEH exam and I am fresher, I donot hold 2 years of security related experience. And I have prepared to take the examination.

Also, my bosses are not willing to give me the relevant certificate. Please suggest me the way I should go with. I am totally confused.

Thanks in advance.
    Bhupesh
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote:
    Where do they state this? I understand the 2 yrs. professional security related experience is required, but I have never come across anything to the effect of "they may make an exception".

They state that right here:

icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm
    ECCouncil wrote:
    Is there any eligibility criteria?

It is mandatory for you to record two years of information security related work experience and get the same endorsed by your employer. In case you do not possess the same you can send us a request detailing your educational background and request for consideration on a case basis.

OpenSource wrote:
    According to my understanding, you have 2 & 1/2 hours to complete the exam in "English speaking nations", but have 3 hours to complete the exam in "non-English speaking nations". But then again, I don't even know if the United States qualifies as an "English speaking nation" anymore (if ever).

Read:
    The exam 312-50 offered through Prometric Prime is of three hour duration. The exam EC0-350 offered through Prometric APTC is two and a half hours for English speaking countries (US and others) and three hours for Non English speaking countries.

Where did you get that? Same site as I quoted above (http://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm) says this:
    ECCouncil wrote:
    How many questions are there in the exam and what is the time duration?

The examination consists of 150 questions. The duration of the test varies according to location and channel. The exam 312-50 offered through Prometric Prime is of four hour duration. The exam EC0-350 offered through Prometric APTC is four hours for English speaking countries (US and others) and four and half hours for Non English speaking countries.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bhupesh_satyabhupesh_satya Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First of all, thanks for the replies.

I thought of taking the exemption by providing a copy of my education certificates for the exam.
    I want a clarification on another thing.
    Should I send the application to the CEH exam via my corporate mail ID?? or can I send the same through my gmail account?? Will this be considered??

As I have already told, my superiors are not encouraging me with this regards, I donot find a way to go ahead with my corporate mail ID. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

--Bhupesh.

mitchmcse wrote:

Hi mitchmcse,

I have read the requirements for the CEH exam and I am fresher, I donot hold 2 years of security related experience. And I have prepared to take the examination.

Also, my bosses are not willing to give me the relevant certificate. Please suggest me the way I should go with. I am totally confused.

Thanks in advance.
    Bhupesh
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should I send the application to the CEH exam via my corporate mail ID?? or can I send the same through my gmail account?? Will this be considered??

I would just call them, their number is posted on the site.

Also, I have to mention that I did not notice (until now) the information posted by OpenSource was over a year old. He may have been correct with his information at that time. Since then they have gone from version 4 to version 5 of the exam and several things have changed, such as the number of questions and the time allotted. So I offer my apologies to OpenSource for questioning his statements which were most likely true when he made them.
    All things are possible, only believe.