EFS question

When you copy or move an encrypted file to an unencrypted folder, the file is still encrypted. If you have enabled a folder to encrypt files and you move or copy an unencrypted file to it, across partitions, it will become encrypted at that point.

here's the link.
http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/compression.shtml

i tried to do some exercises about this but somethings not going right as stated.

1. i made a folder and i encrypted it and i tick apply changes to this folder only

2. i tried to copy and move an unencrypted (normal file) file to that folder and the result is it is always encrypted.

I think it should not be encrypted since i only encrypt the folder and not the subfolders and files. maybe im missing something. is there another way to enable or disable a folder to encrypt files?
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, it's correct. Remember when you encrypt a folder, the check box description states "Encrypt contents to secure data", then when you hit "Apply", it asks if you want to apply it to this folder only (in other words, apply "Encrypt contents to this folder") or do you also want subfolders contents to be encryped. A little tricky wording, but if you think about it, why encrypt a folder only?

Try crerating a subfolder with files in it and see what happens.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    now i know. hehe. thanks for the help sir mark.

nice gun and nice website :) i also believe gun and church can coexist together. why? our parish priest here accidentally dropped his 1911 during a mass icon_lol.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    now i know. hehe. thanks for the help sir mark.

nice gun and nice website :) i also believe gun and church can coexist together. why? our parish priest here accidentally dropped his 1911 during a mass icon_lol.gif

Now that is funny! If I were catholic I'd go to his church! icon_thumright.gif

On the topic of guns, I had a good time yesterday. My local gun shop recently started renting fully automatic guns for use on their range. Since I am a member I got a good deal. I shot a fully auto Uzi, an MP5 and an M16. Man, was that a blast! (No pun intended). :D
    All things are possible, only believe.