OSPF hardware requirements.

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
I keep reading in my ICND book. ospf takes higher cpu and ram than rip, igrp..

What are the requirments? i looked on the web, but couldnt find anything..
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That depends on the size of the network, and how it is designed (i.e. hierarchical, areas). OSPF maintains a link state database in addition to the routing table, which requires more ram, and it requires more advanced calculations, hence a bigger demand on the CPU. But, as you can imagine, this applies only to large internetworks. It takes a whole bunch of routes and link states to fill a megabyte of ram. ;)
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    It takes a whole bunch of routes and link states to fill a megabyte of ram
    Ha, i bet..

One more question.. Is there a way to completely reset a router, so it i can set it up differently if need be? For different configs.. RIP, OSPF.. bla bla..
    Yes there is, are actually:

erase nvram

or

erase startup-config

(and reload)

As you know you can easily maintain copies of certain configs/setups by copying it to tftp first.
    As you know you can easily maintain copies of certain configs/setups by copying it to tftp first.

As of yesterday i know.. icon_cool.gif
    So lemme get this straight..

To configure ospf all i need to add is

router ospf
    network """" """" area "

Did that on my routers and it seems to work fine. At least when i do show ip ro.
    The first command starts the OSPF routing process or in other words enables OSPF on the router. The network commands define the networks (interfaces actually, or links). Yes, that makes up the basic, required configuration, but when OSPF is used in large internetworks, as it is meant to, it needs to be tuned and requires additional configuration to scale well, so in most typical OSPF networks there is more to it.

Here's a list of OSPF related commands, most of them are not relevant for the CCNA exam, but almost all are part of the CCNP BSCI (routing) exam.
    I figured as much especially when you get into more areas and what not..