Shadow copies

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hi all,

I'm studiyng this topic but can't try to answer the following question in order to define right the concepts.

First, what I comprised:
Shadow Copy feature, is a backup feature of Windows Server 2003 (itself), by which it can do copies of files that are also open by the operating system or other aplications. OK.

The question:
What I asked to myself (and You of course :)), is if VSS (Volume shadow Service) is related in some way to NTBackup and NTBackup consequently has this feature.

One other question is if shadow copies are only for shared folders or also for folders not shared, in the MSPress book he begins to say that "The Shadow Copies feature for shared folders is not enabled by default", not there is trace on what happens for folders not shared, I think not, but not sure.

Thank You very much.

rjb
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NTBackup uses VSS by default, but you can choose not to use it. Other 3rd party utilities can use VSS as well.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/22a0add1-d224-47ee-8f6e-65103fb63e231033.mspx?mfr=true

I believe it only does shared folders. This makes sense because you're almost always going to have file changes made from client computers on the file server, so the folders are going to have to be shared. It isn't likely that users are going to be taking turns working interactively on the server. If there's a non-shared folder that's just a backup/archive, you don't need to worry about previous versions since nothing changes.
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Very helpful reply dynamik thank You ... :)
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    The book also emphasizes that in order to play around with shadow copy, you have to connect to the share e.g. \\server\sharename (even if you're logged on to the server to which you're connecting) instead of browsing there locally e.g. c:\share.

This would be more evidence that it only works with shares.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Hi iproute, glad to see You in this section of the forum. :)
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

Heya rjbarlow. Congrats on your CCNA.

This forum is a bit more quiet isn't it? Probably because this exam is so much easier. icon_lol.gif
    CCNP Progress
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iproute wrote:
    This forum is a bit more quiet isn't it? Probably because this exam is so much easier. icon_lol.gif

A guy should have an MCP or something before he says stuff like that... icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    iproute wrote:

A guy should have an MCP or something before he says stuff like that... icon_wink.gif
    Soon enough my friend. Soon enough.
    CCNP Progress
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iproute wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    iproute wrote:

Soon enough my friend. Soon enough.

Good luck. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
    icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Progress