CCNP lab requirements

MiekMiek Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

what are the lab requirements for CCNP. I'm preparing for my CCNP (BSCI). My boss wants buy some "new" cisco routers and switches but I don't know exactly what I need for CCNP icon_sad.gif

Hope someone can help me with this question.

Greets ;)

Nina

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    If i recall what Webmaster was saying, you need at least 3 routers and 2 switchs.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • MiekMiek Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 3 routers and 2 switches aren's the problem ... I just don't know which type of routers (ethernet/fastethernet), wich type of switches and what IOS version ...

Can't find a lab requirement sheet icon_sad.gif

Greetz ;)
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    I would think 2500 series routers, ios 12+ and 1900 series switch's ios9 will work

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    pandimus wrote:
    I would think 2500 series routers, ios 12+ and 1900 series switch's ios9 will work
    Yes that would allow you to perform most of the tasks, in particular for the BSCI, BCMSN, and CIT exam. The topics in the BCRAN (remote access) exam require 'connections' apart from equipment, which are usually less easy to come by ;) If you have an ISDN connection you can use for practice you should buy routers with BRI connections, which is also the case if you want to invest in an ISDN simulator.

If money is no issue, you should go for 2600 (ie 2621) series for the routers and 2950 series for the switches.
    And what about the ISL en .1Q?

Is it necessary to have fast ethernet ports to work with ISL or .1Q?

We do have 25xx and 4000 routers, 3 29xx switches so that will do for CCNP ...

For configuring dhcp and vpn we need IOS 12.2T.

ISIS, OSPF, EIGRP and BGP won't be a problem with the IOS and routers we have now.

Greetz ;)
    We do have the chance to buy some "end-of-life" routers ...

1700 with fast ethernet
    7206 routers but don't know all about them ...
    36xx routers with regular ethernet ports and serial connections

Routers with BRI connections aren't a problem, an ISDN simulator on the other hand ... But I will try BSCI and BCMSN first :D

Greetz ;)
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the CCNP academy, currently finishing up semester 6 remote access. and in my class we use mostly 2500 and 2600 series routers and either 29, 1900 series switches. they work just fine for us. and we used the same equipment when I was in semster 5 for routing last year. I beilieve all the 2600s have BRI ports on them. most have fast ethernet ports, but a few have 10s installed. we also use a phone box (adtran) to connect the ISDN, frame-relay, and telephone clouds. we do have a few 4500 routers also. most of the IOS are 11.2 or 12.2. you shouldnt have any problems with that, that's pretty much all you need. we also have an access server installed. everythings accessible by remote access. This is what my class has setup for our lab. I hope this helps you. good luck in youre CCNP studies, TECHMAN
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i am getting sick of routersim ccnp simulator...
    i am thinking of buying cheap lab for now..

Now, what i was thinking of... it is ok to for 2500...right?
    i mean, i looked up the prices for 2500 and 2600.. and there is huge difference..
    let me know what you think.

kicker
    Yes, a 2500 is good enough for practice. I used 2 for the BSCI exam, 3 would have been much better though. Check out the CCNA forums for some extensive information on router labs. (i.e. the My Router Lab post).

Any specifics about why you don't like the routersim? (Net visualizer right?)
  • kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i didnt like? i love it..and i still do..
    but its not realistic enough..needs hands on experience..

well, i am tight with the budget...and i would rather go for 2600 for future uses...
    but anyway, there is nothing much i can do about it for now.. so i guess i will go for 2500..

thanks anyway,
    kicker
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I hate to bump an old post, but I figured it was better than creating a new one :)

So the 1900 switches are good enough to use for CCNP study? I'd love to pull down a 2900 series (not only for study, but I could use a decent bigger than 4 port 10/100 switch just in my regular home network), but the cost is looking prohibitive.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    Don't worry about bumping an older post if the info is still valid and current. It's the reason I don't lock older topics.

I got the BCMSN book but have started with it yet... but, and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, 'many' things are doable with a 1900, but many other features would require a more modern switch, as in a switch with 100mbps ports. If you have the option to buy a 29xx, I recommend you do it, apart from exam preparation it will be darn handy to have one at home, and besides that you should be able to sell it with little loss.
  • pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Bear in mind that CCNP is now based around the 2950 switch! these can be expensive but I picked up a 12 port one of ebay for £100 ($170) some of the commands etc arent compatible with the 19XX series. The commands also do differ slightly for different tasks, although the BCMSN exam is surpising easy! or so from my experience anyway
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wildfire wrote:
    Bear in mind that CCNP is now based around the 2950 switch! these can be expensive but I picked up a 12 port one of ebay for £100 ($170) some of the commands etc arent compatible with the 19XX series.

Really, you found one for $170? Is it banged up or something? If I can find one that cheap I'll buy it. I took into account that the 2950 is what's happening these days and intend to keep using the Boson simultaor with 2950 cli. Really I purchased the lab in order to finally get my hands on some real equipment.

There are definately differences (outside the obvious: port speeds).

Most notably is vlan configuration & port security. Also, the 1900 doesn't support 802.1q trunking and auto-saves config changes (that's probably annoying). It doesn't run real ios either.

Oh well I'll do what I can with what I have. Will definately be keeping an eye out for cheap 2950's!
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also do QOS classification and marking with the 2950. It is used in the 642-642 test.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Really, you found one for $170? Is it banged up or something?

no its in very good working order, hasnt even got scratches etc on it, cisco stuff goes for a good price over here in the UK, ebay.co.uk
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.