Options

Essentials? Core Hardware?..

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
This might sound like a stupid question but I'm assuming the CompTIA Essentials and Core Hardware are one in the same thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong!icon_rolleyes.gif

I have to admit I didn't even know CompTIA existed until I moved (from Ireland) to the US a few years ago when I noticed this thing called A+ as a requirement for most IT jobs...

I'm about to certify (A+) over here in the US and I'm ready for the Core Hardware Exam (OS will come with the next pay cheque/Check!icon_lol.gif)... ready to schedule my test but I wanna make sure I sit the correct exam and don't flush $163 down the (bog as we say) toilet!

I have to admit I'm more excited than nervous about this exam, I'm 100% ready for those really annoying questions. Any and all advice on what to look out for on the exam would be great!

Thanks in advance for your responses! :D Wish me Luck! :P

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Been a while since I looked at Comptia's A+, just remember to memorize those (pointless) IRQs, DMA and SCSI types. Everything else should come natural with experience and reading through a book. Good luck!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jim59ajim59a Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi;
    I am taking the A+ Essentials tomorrow. There is a diffrence between core and essentials. Essentials is numbered 220-601 and is based on 2006 objectives. Core+ is numbered 220-301 and is based on 2003 objectives. I'm new at this so I may be wrong, but this is what I know.
    jim59a
    Jim
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you are correct Jim.. after spending some "work" time on the comptia website today I found just that. 301 is for the 03 test and the 601 is for the 06 version.

You are also 100% correct Daniel.. those stupid DMA/IRQ questions have to be what gets everyone. Luckily I've all but memorized those along with the BIOS error codes!

The only thing that really trips me up is questions like.. what speed is a modem measured in.. of course you think it's not the 90's anymore so.. MB's for cable/DSL but they expect you to enter KB's as in dial up! I wanted to beat someone when I read that icon_lol.gif

I've been looking though the objectives and I've checked out Jean Andrews Complete Guide to A+ 2006 (don't remember the exact name) and of course the other favorite (which reads easier) Mike Meyers A+ Passport.

I'm as ready as I could ever be for this exam, although the 601 is very, very similar to a Hardware Fundamentals course I did back home a few years ago. I'm glad I did that course back home it helps alot with the A+! I'd 100% recommend anyone no matter how much experience/certificates you have to check out one of the two books I've read just to be 110% ready for the A+.

Good Luck Jim on your exam :D
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I took the A+ essentials a few weeks ago and it didnt have any of the old legacy quesionts about IRQ/IO/COM stuff I was dreading.

It also didnt ask any of the old "this file does X on bootup" etc questions I hated. And everything was W2k or XP.

Now, it could be that I lucked out and the test generated for me didnt have that stuff by accident, but I dont think so.

It was kind of odd....some stuff from left field, some rock dumb stuff. It didnt seem to be a good representation of knowledge + studying, I'll put it that way.
  • Options
    CaptainMorganCaptainMorgan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote:
    I took the A+ essentials a few weeks ago and it didnt have any of the old legacy quesionts about IRQ/IO/COM stuff I was dreading.

It also didnt ask any of the old "this file does X on bootup" etc questions I hated. And everything was W2k or XP.

Now, it could be that I lucked out and the test generated for me didnt have that stuff by accident, but I dont think so.

It was kind of odd....some stuff from left field, some rock dumb stuff. It didnt seem to be a good representation of knowledge + studying, I'll put it that way.

I passed Essentials last Friday and I couldn't agree more with what was said here.
    -Capt