Serious question. Is it OK to stack routers on each other?

viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I ran out of room on my 44u telco rack and really don't want to fit another in my room.

Is it ok to place 2500 series routers on top of each other? will they have enough airflow? 2500's have air outtake on bottom and intake on sides, this is what concerns me. my other routers are 26xx 36xx and have front intake and rear out so they should be OK for sure with no blank rack space in between right?

thanks,
Nate

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Typically you can stack rack mountable routers. They do not have fans on the bottom or legs that resemble stands. I wouldn't stack anything that has fans on the bottom unless there is breathing room. Try it out an monitor the heat.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are in a temperature controlled house and its your own equipment then I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you like the temp at 90 degrees.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    does anyone have any 2500's anymore in their lab?

they are the only cisco product I have seen that does have down firing air vents and side air intake.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Even if the 2500 routers have the rubber feet, I never felt comfortable with the airflow for long periods of time -- but I would use 4 wooden pencils diagonally on the corners to stack them about 10 high. More than that and I worried that my cats might try to go "router surfing"
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They should be fine. Rubber feet would give them the same sort of clearance they have when rack mounted and aslong as its a well ventilated room.....there are no problems.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.