Do you really need to do the client exam first?

I know XP pretty well and I've used Vista for a few months now.

However, I'd rather start right in with 70-290, as I feel it would help me a lot more right now with my job.

Do you think it would be a bad idea?[/i]

Comments

• CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Nope. However I didnt want to do it that way, I wanted to get the boring part out of the way plus the 270 helps a bit keeping permissions and such in your mind for the 290... Its pretty much whatever one you could really focus on, get one under your belt and its like crack, you just gotta have more...

Good luck!
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I'm not sure how in depth you've dealt with XP, but I would recommend starting witht he client first. If you are basing your knowledge of XP on just using it everyday and resolving some problems here and there, study for the exam.

If you have experience configuring XP with minimal services needed to function on a domain, using SYSPREP, USMT, deploying and configuring XP for an Enterprise, Recovery Console, OS KERNEL, etc., etc., stuff that people don't care about who only work on home PC's, then give the exam a shot.

I do know that there have been many here who have skipped the client when starting the track, but I'm just giving my opinion :D .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I took the 70-290 first, then 70-291, and then 70-270. There's nothing that says you need to take the client exam first. The client exam will help you with some topics on 70-290, and 70-290 will help you with things on the client exam, so it's a tradeoff of which exam you want to have help on and which one you want to study from the ground up. I would recommend, though, that you think about doing 70-620 instead of 70-270 as your client exam for MCSA/MCSE, as the Vista exam will also be recognized as the client exam for the new generation of server certs, the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    /usr wrote:
    I know XP pretty well and I've used Vista for a few months now.

However, I'd rather start right in with 70-290, as I feel it would help me a lot more right now with my job.

Do you think it would be a bad idea?[/i]

Pretty much you don't have to if you don't want....I just took the exam today now I def could have done better if I had more time to getting a 700 wasn't my proudest moment but it was a pass. I studied for just over 3 weeks and have done support on XP for about 2 years. If you have decent experience with XP with a little studying you can nail it...I didn't think it was that bad for the little i studied...You gotta do it anyway so might as well just my opinion!

Good Luck