Help on DNS

DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys,i need a help in here,am really stuck and i can't go further without completing this lab. STudying for the beast and am trying to do all the labs and exercises from MS Press book.I have 2 machines, a PC and a laptop.I am using virtual PC on both for my lil testing lab.Been proceeding pretty well until today wen i was to install active directory in one of the servers to promote it to a DC. For some reasons i can't get DNS to work as the DNS registration diagnostics keeps on failing.I might not be doin something alright as am suppose to but the problem is mainly with my TCP/IP settings.I have set everything alright though but i just don't know where am getting it twisted. My ISP dns server is 202.188.0.133 and 192.168.0.1 as the alternate DNS server and am using a static addressing for one server while the other one is dynamic.Seems the problem is with the DNS server address that i set for my server,which is 192.168.0.1.

Ok guys,mayb am not making maself clear as am not very experience with this,attended the class and am taking my time to get use to the environment till i feel i have learnt something to face this exam.So simply,how du u solve this error of dns diagnostic failing?SHoud install DNS and start from fresh,will that help?Am mostly concerned about which DNS server address to put as the ones provided by my ISP seems not to work.

Looking forward for suggestions and advice guys,it will be very much appreciated.
Working on 293:

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will need to point the Primary DNS server setting to the DC itself. So, if the Server you are promoting to a Domain Controller has an IP Address of 192.168.1.2 then that is what you will need to list as the Primary DNS Server.
  • DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will need to point the Primary DNS server setting to the DC itself. So, if the Server you are promoting to a Domain Controller has an IP Address of 192.168.1.2 then that is what you will need to list as the Primary DNS Server.

Thanx a lot man,i will try that in the morning.Spent the whole day trying to figure out this thing.
    Working on 293:
    Also, if you don't already have DNS installed on the Server that you are promoting to a DC then you will still receive a DNS error during the promotion process. You can install DNS to host the zone you are promoting your DC to beforehand or during.
    Also, if you don't already have DNS installed on the Server that you are promoting to a DC then you will still receive a DNS error during the promotion process. You can install DNS to host the zone you are promoting your DC to beforehand or during.

I already have DNS installed on the server that i am promoting to DC and appropriate zones configured.If it still doesn't work,will removing and reinstalling DNS help?Or just remove it and install AD so i can choose during the Ad installation to include DNS as well?
    Thanx once more
    Working on 293:
    It should work. If not, then yes, you can remove it and reinstall as you listed.
    It should work. If not, then yes, you can remove it and reinstall as you listed.

It worked man!! Thanx a lot. I really appreciate that.
    Working on 293: