Advice on if should take this job or not

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Its a part-time 3 month internship that is non-paid, i repeat non-paid. However, they are a certified training center or something, and guarantee 5 free classes/certifications after completion.

I am going full time college next semester, and am looking for a part time job so to keep my resume going while continuing full time at college.

Right now i'm working full time tier 1 help desk making about $18/hr. Anyways, they said the 5 classes/certifications have a value of over $6,000+....

Plus they offer apple certification and its an apple/windows mixed environment, and i'm looking to get into apple more and then linux.

Anyways what do u guys think?

PS: I still live with my parents at home, so money is not an issue for me. I was thinking i could do this part time job mon-fri. then on weekends find like freelance stuff like onforce.com etc...

Thanks in advance for you guys advice,

win2k4

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'd do it... not paid is one thing... paying them to take the classes is another...

I'm sure you'll learn something out of the deal.
    Dustin Leefers
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I wasnt worried about money, I would do it. If you have a chance to learn about apple computer technology, go for it. It is hard sometimes to find someone that knows anything about macs. That would be to your advantage. Its only for three months. If you come to find out thats its not all that they say it is, you can quit. Get all the experience you can before you graduate. good luck
    lungsucker.jpg
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does the 5 free deal actually include the complete certification course or is it just 5 free classes?

Will your $18 an hour job take you back if you leave?

When you go back to school will your full time job still offer you part time hours?

$18 an hour helpdesk is pretty damn good man. IF it were me, that would be hard to leave for a 3 month part time internship. Secondly 3 months part-time isn't really that much learning time you know? If it were full time for 3 or 4 months, that might be a a little different. Internships are usually geared around people who have no experience or are trying to break into a different sector. You making 18 an hour says that you probably do some advanced help desk work. So in my opinion that would be a hard decision to make. I wouldn't necessarily jump right on it unless they offfered 5 full certification training courses. That would be the deciding factor for me.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Netstudent wrote:
    Does the 5 free deal actually include the complete certification course or is it just 5 free classes?

Will your $18 an hour job take you back if you leave?

When you go back to school will your full time job still offer you part time hours?

$18 an hour helpdesk is pretty damn good man. IF it were me, that would be hard to leave for a 3 month part time internship. Secondly 3 months part-time isn't really that much learning time you know? If it were full time for 3 or 4 months, that might be a a little different. Internships are usually geared around people who have no experience or are trying to break into a different sector. You making 18 an hour says that you probably do some advanced help desk work. So in my opinion that would be a hard decision to make. I wouldn't necessarily jump right on it unless they offfered 5 full certification training courses. That would be the deciding factor for me.

I read this as he's going to school next semester and looking for a partime job... I don't think he has plans to work fulltime and go to school full time...
    Dustin Leefers
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    goodmorning leef,

Thats why I asked if his full time job would offer him part time hours. But if he is living in one city with the rents and then going to school somewhere else, then that would change the whole idea. Moreover, if the job offers part time hours at the same pay rate, and the job is near school, then I wouldn't leave it for a 3month part time no pay internship. UNLESS, they offer 5 full cert courses. That in itself would be very hard to pass up. If it's worth 6K, then it may very well be 5 full courses. IN that case I would take it.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think we need a "TechExams Magic 8-Ball" for questions like this and you should have to post what it said in your original post. :D
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Thanks for your advice guys, I turned down the internship, however am still looking for part-time position, since my current job would not allow part time. I got an offer from Lockeed Martin, and hoping i get this position, it would have flexible shift from 6 am to 3 pm full time with 40,000 salary, and unlike my current position it would not be contract, so i'd get full benefits from working as a perm employee.

win2k4
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Nice. I see Lockheed always has positions in my area.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    win2k4,

Sounds like you are really doing well for youself, what's your background?
    -Daniel
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Thanks, its part luck in getting into the IT field and part is hardwork.

Little history of my employment (sorry if its a bit long):

When i graduated from highschool, I had my MCP completed (270). I finished top in my network admin. 2 class, and was offered an internship over the summer with a local utitilites company nearby. I was the IT guy there, since they were small company. I managed all their computers, network, servers, printers, security, etc... I did this from August 06 till March 07 it was part time doing 20 hours a week they offered only $8/hr while attending my first semester at local comm. college. While working their i did my MCDST (271 &272 exams) to better my chances of getting better pay and since i had some experience doing desktop support now.

I eventually got tired of doing everything IT related and being paid like some guy flipping burgers at the local fast food chain, so i quit and looked for another job for Summer of 07. I got contact by a recruiter company claiming they had a help desk job for like 12/hr, and i was like hell yea less work and more money. However when i got their i found it was not really a help desk windows environment like i thought, rather it was working at a NOC for Sprint Nextel monitoring routers and interfaces and that sort, so I did the night shift over the summer and gained all the experiece i could from that position. I took Summer semester off so it was not conflicting with my college either. However as end of August approached I knew I had to find another job, I pref wanted to go back to a windows environment and finish my MCSA. Also because I knew working late shift and going to college during the fall was not probable.

So end of August 2007 I put my resume back up online with all the experience updated that i had obtained so far, and got a call from a recruiter saying they had a help desk opening for 18/hr, and i went into the interview and this time i knew for sure it was a windows environment, and i got hired like an hour after the interview got a call saying they wanted me on board. So i took the position working fulltime 9-6, while taking a combination of evening and online classes for my college.

Now here I am, studying for my 290, deciding to go back fulltime college and part time work like my first job or find a full time position with flexible hours, and get my associate degree as quick as possible, then transfer to a major university for bachelors, while also trying to finish up my MCSA.

win2k4