Issue trying to telnet into home routers

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
So I cannot seem to be able to telnet into my home router.

My set up is

DSL modem
to
Linksys WRT54G router
to
Cisco 2611, and a couple computers

Now the internal computers can telnet into the router via the private address, as well as the external IP address on the linksys. However, I do not get a response when trying to telnet from an external source.

I have set the linksys to forward port 23 to the cisco router. I have also turned off the firewall all together and unchecked the "block anonymous requests" box.

Is there something else I need to do? Could my ISP be blocking telnet access? If so, could I get away with setting it to a different port?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have a default route on the 2611 pointing to the Linksys? Can you ping something out on the internet by IP Address from the 2611?

If your ISP is blocking telnet -- google for your ISP and telnet -- then sure, redirect a random high port to the 2611 internal IP and port 23
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Well I did try to google my ISP (sympatico) and telnet and I did not see anything that would suggest it.

I have not set a default route to the internet no, I figured since it going ping the linksys it would be ok. I will try that tonight though and make sure the 2600 is able to get replies from the Internet first.
  • joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also check to make sure your modem isn't acting as a firewall / nat device. Some ISP's do not put their modems in bridge mode due to so many people connecting the modem directly to their pc.
    Josh, CCNP CWNA
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just because you can ping the lynksys doesn't mean all traffic will go that way. If there is not route the router will send it to the bit bucket unless you have a default route.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Probably NAT on the Linksys.

Hmm - except that I see you forwarded port 23 already.

Make sure there is a default route to the inside IP on the Linksys. Ensure that you have your telnet login/password set and are not blocking connections with an access-list.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Ya the 2611 has a fresh config. The only thing set are Line logins, and an IP address on eth0/0.

When I get home tonight I will set the 2600 up to make sure it is able to ping externally, and go from there.