*TechLabs* CCNA

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Below you will find our a list of our current CCNA TechLabs. These are particularly helpful for students that own a lab, or have access to one, but anyone pursuing CCNA will benefit from reading them. What exactly a TechExams.Net CCNA TechLab is, you'll have to see for yourself.

icon_arrow.gifThe Hardware

icon_arrow.gifConfiguring a RIP network

icon_arrow.gifConfiguring a Frame Relay network

icon_arrow.gifSwitch Configuration Basics

icon_arrow.gifLayer 2 Switching Basics *new*

icon_arrow.gifCisco Discovery Protocol

Also check out this free lab scenario book provided by one of our members:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/70766-configure-network-ccna-lab-scenarios.html

Please do let me know what you think about these kind of Labs, and if you would like to see more of them on our site. Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Johan

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    According to our site's traffic statistics, the first "TechLab" is currently being visited by more people than any of our TechNotes or practice exams... still I have had no comments here... Should I create more of these? Should I add or change anything?
  • jroysejroyse Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • arlandeanarlandean Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a N00bie to the CCNA Odyssey (and beyond, gawd willin'), TechLab is the ticket. Cisco's own publication, "CCNA Practical Studies", requires a lab worth a small fortune in hardware. Labs such as your "Configuring RIP Routing" are a perfect point of departure from which to build.

One request: How about a few words on hardware connections, e.g., just how do I make back-to-back router connections via the serial interface in a lab environment? What cabling, etc. is needed? And just how far can I go with a small 2-3 router home lab? What are the limits?

Can you clue us in on future labs?
    Anyway, please keep'em coming, and thanx!
    Thanks for your comments on the TechLab Arlandean.

I will try to fullfill your request and include some information about the cabling/connections. For the first TechLab, I assumed a V.35 cable, but there are other options.
    And just how far can I go with a small 2-3 router home lab?
    Hard to say, depends on the available connections as well (ie. and extra ethernet interface with loopback is an extra available network to route.), but everything you need to know for the CCNA exam should be doable with 2 routers and one switch (2 switches is nice to cover the objective: "configure a router for inter VLAN communication") Even configuring (simulating is perhaps a better word in this case) Frame Relay is possible with only 2 routers.

I'm almost done with writing Network+ material for the site, after that I'll focus more on the CCNA exam. I'm not sure what the future labs will cover. I decided to pick certain topics and complete it with basic router configuration task (such as password, banners, config file management and such). I just don't know yet what these certain topics will be, but probably include some or all of the following:
    - configuring static routing, passwords, password encryption and banners.
    - access lists
    - configuring a switch for basic operation and/or VLANs
    - configuring isdn, ppp, chap

I don't really have a fixed order in which I planned to write material, I'll see if I can do the next TechLab sooner than planned... icon_wink.gif

Johan
  • skellig77skellig77 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having a router with 3 serial interfaces (like a 4000) series is nice to use for frame swtiching. You would really need a total of 4 routers, with serial interfaces to play with ptmp and split horizon. Cisco AGS would be good to for the frame switch.
    (hmmm... still banging my head...).

I've added a new TechLab... well, not really a TechLab but an overview of the equipment used for our TechLabs and how to connect everything.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    The tech labs are wonderful. I would definately like to see more stuff like this in the future.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • philippeogetphilippeoget Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They are great, in fact a few more would be even greater,
    thank you for that

Philippe CCNA student
    Hope that helps

Kind regards

Philippe Oget
    Thanks for your comments. I hate to disappoint you, but I won't be adding any TechLabs soon. I want to spend my time on improving the TechSims instead. I will add new TechLabs corresponding to new CCNA TechNotes.
  • iDkiDk Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think it would be a wonderful idea if you added more sims, my main problem is the fact you cant use short commands but thats understandable oh and the "?" command..

i would love to see some simulator labs or tech notes on;
    frame relay
    ospf
    rip
    and
    access-lists

ACL's are a massive part of the CCNA exam...

the ICND/INTRO is something else to focus on possibly?

regards
    iDk
    I think this was meant as a reply on the TechSims, not the TechLabs, right?
    my main problem is the fact you cant use short commands but thats understandable oh and the "?" command..
    Actually, there is at least 1 abbreviated version for every command our simulator supports, usually more than one. I wil post a full list with the next version. Also the ? command is available, but not yet in every 'mode'.
    i would love to see some simulator labs or tech notes on;
    frame relay
    ospf
    rip
    and
    access-lists
    Same here, and they will definitely be created, I can't give a time table though... However, I will perform a major update of our online simulator this month, add several essential and basic configuration options (starting with a separate running and startup config (copy between the two) and configuring all kinds of passwords).

We already have TechNotes on access-lists here:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/accesslists.shtml

If you have any more comments/questions/suggestions for the sims, please post them here:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2451
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Just curious about the DTE/DCE cables. isnt there a DB-60 to DB-60 cable that would work? or are they kinda crossovers? Also I could find any mention in here of how and where to hook up a swith.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
    pandimus wrote:
    Just curious about the DTE/DCE cables. isnt there a DB-60 to DB-60 cable that would work?
    Not that I know of. 'Normally' you would never connect two routers directly using the serial ports, because even an 10Mbps Ethernet connection would be faster. (Although I've seen some companies do it because lack of Ethernet interfaces on the 2501 they used....)
    or are they kinda crossovers?
    the male DTE, female DCE combination, yes. It is called a back-to-back connection, and is mainly used to 'simulate' a WAN connection.
    pandimus wrote:
    Also I could find any mention in here of how and where to hook up a swith.
    The switch is an Ethernet device, hence it connects to the Ethernet AUI port on one of the routers. You will need Ethernet Transceivers to connect UTP/RJ-45 cabling to the AUI port.
    ok cool..

Seems those back to back cables wanna break my back. They are quite expensive..
    what about something like this? Seems like it would do the job..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083574907&category=11185
    pandimus wrote:
    Seems those back to back cables wanna break my back. They are quite expensive..
    They are indeed, but the one you linked to should work fine. I didn't know they make those. icon_redface.gif

The DTE male cable is always included with a new router, and sometimes with used routers as well, hence you would 'only' need a DCE female. But if you don't have any cables with a router, the DB-60 to DB-60 crossover is perfect, and cheaper even. (I guess those big V.35 connectors are costly...)

This is where I ordered my cables:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.anthonypanda.com
    Perhaps I read over them last time I visited, but they do list it as well, for $10. I'll order one myself and make a picture of it to add to the 'Hardware TechLab'.
  • Routerguy66Routerguy66 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D I just used your example to set up my home Lab. I'm on my way to obtaining my CCNA.Thank you for the information and would like to see more in the future.
  • Fire StarterFire Starter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know routerA is connected to hostA via console cable, but how is routerB connected to hostB.

Sorry for being thick ! icon_sad.gif
    Using the serial interfaces. We simulate a WAN connection by connecting two routers back-to-back. For example, using the V.35 cables as depicted in 'The Hardware' TechLab:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
  • tree_twobearstree_twobears Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Johan,

This is a great resource! My shopping list is complete. I'll definitely be using your labs and sims to work on my CCNA.

Thanks!
    Tree
    Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better.
    Thanks. :D

We should have some new TechLabs and TechSim soon...
    No, when you connect thru ethernet you would use a cross-cable , and use Telnet to connect to the Cisco CLI. The console cable is a rollover cable that connects th e PC's serial port to the Console port on the router. Please read the entire page I linked to in my previous reply. The answer is in there as well.
  • Fire StarterFire Starter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, I meant roll over (console) cable from Router A to Host A (Hyperterm)....

and from Router B to Host B's ethernet port you'd use a cross-over cable (telnet) :D
  • NickNewGuyNickNewGuy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im new to this CCNA stuff, and i just used your hardware guide to get me started!!

Thanks allot!!!!
    Nik :D:D
    Check out this topic as well:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    it contains a lot of info for starters.
    Ok new guy question.
    I got have just bought two 2501 cisco routers,
    how can i check how much DRAM and FLash memory it has installed?

Nick
    Ok new guy question.
    I got have just bought two 2501 cisco routers,
    how can i check how much DRAM and FLash memory it has installed?
    By using the show version command

Webmaster wrote:
    Check out this topic as well:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    it contains a lot of info for starters.
    icon_wink.gif
    Thanks for that!
    i also got a 1924 switch, do u know how i can re-set the password?

Nick
  • zoomanzooman Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The RIP Lab was just what I needed to configure my first back to back serial connection. I used a DB60 DTE/ DB60 DCE cable for my back to back.
    It was only $3.95 +ship/hand on ebay.

I also picked some old DCE type adapters at a swap meet here in Dallas and converted a Cisco V.35 DTE to a DCE. The things you do when you got no dough.
  • levawa@hotmail.comlevawa@hotmail.com Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI,

Can anyone tell me what i need to add (commands)with the rip lab in order that my 2 hosts would be able to go on the internet?
    I have an 2501 router and a 3600-serias router i would like to connect my d-link router (which provides internet access) to my 3600router.
    3600 connects to a host an to 2501 through back-to-back. And finally the 2501 has also 1 host connected to it.

Please help me out. Would be great to test ACL's from the host.