Options

multicasting in BCMSN?

AndersfAndersf Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm reading the BCMSN Authorized Self-study Guide (4th edition) now, and Chapter 11 (page 500-551) is named "Deploying Multicast in the Multilayer Switched Network". But in the BCMSN Official Exam Certification guide (4th edition) I can not immediately find a chapter about multicasting. On the career path of BCMSN (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-812.html) I also don't see multicasting listed, I can only see multicasting being listed in the BSCI-path (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-901.html).

So I wonder why that multicasting-chapter (about 50 pages) is included in the BCMSN Self-study guide. Is it necessary to have a good knowledge about multicasting to be able to read the rest of the BCMSN Selfstudy-guide? (btw, the BCMSN is my first exam towards the CCNP, I haven't done the BSCI yet). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's no multicasting in the new exam (642-812), it may be a left over from the previous version of the exam that included multicasting.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    orottaorotta Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did BSCI in July this year and passed. The Multicast chapter is moved from BCMSN to BSCI. I had between 4 to 5 question from Multicast chapter in BSCI exam. I am currently collecting reading materials for my BCMSN cert. if you browse Cisco website and you could find the Cisco CCNP Certification guide for the new curriculum. I have just copy and past for your information:-

Implement VLANs.
    • Explain the functions of VLANs in a hierarchical network.
    • Configure VLANs (e.g., Native, Default, Static and Access).
    • Explain and configure VLAN trunking (i.e., IEEE 802.1Q and ISL).
    • Explain and configure VTP.
    • Verify or troubleshoot VLAN configurations.

Conduct the operation of Spanning Tree protocols in a hierarchical network.
    • Explain the functions and operations of the Spanning Tree protocols (i.e., RSTP, PVRST, MISTP).
    • Configure RSTP (PVRST) and MISTP.
    • Describe and configure STP security mechanisms (i.e., BPDU Guard, BPDU Filtering, Root Guard).
    • Configure and Verify UDLD and Loop Guard.
    • Verify or troubleshoot Spanning Tree protocol operations.
    • Configure and verify link aggregation using PAgP or LACP.

Implement Inter-VLAN routing.
    • Explain and configure Inter-VLAN routing (i.e., SVI and routed ports).
    • Explain and enable CEF operation.
    • Verify or troubleshoot InterVLAN routing configurations.

Implement gateway redundancy technologies.
    • Explain the functions and operations of gateway redundancy protocols (i.e., HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP).
    • Configure HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.
    • Verify High Availability configurations.

Describe and configure wireless client access.
    • Describe the components and operations of WLAN topologies (i.e., AP and Bridge).
    • Describe the features of Client Devices, Network Unification, and Mobility Platforms (i.e., CCX, LWAPP).
    • Configure a wireless client (i.e., ADU).

Describe and configure security features in a switched network.
    • Describe common Layer 2 network attacks (e.g., MAC Flooding, Rogue Devices, VLAN Hopping, DHCP Spoofing, etc.)
    • Explain and configure Port Security,802.1x, VACLs, Private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, and DAI.
    • Verify Catalyst switch (IOS-based) security configurations (i.e., Port Security, 802.1x, VACLs, Private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, and DAI).

Configure support for voice.
    • Describe the characteristics of voice in the campus network.
    • Describe the functions of Voice VLANs and trust boundaries.
    • Configure and verify basic IP Phone support (i.e. Voice VLAN, Trust and CoS options, AutoQoS for voice).