MCSA/MCSE - Training Scheduled

tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I went to a local computer school to find out about the MCSA/MCSE process & classes. The MCSE track will run 14 weeks. Would this be considered a moderate pace or bootcamp style? Classes will run 2 nights a week, 4 hours a day. As most of you prob know, the MCSE is 7 exams. Along with the classroom training, how much study time should I commit each week? I will be most certainly stocking up on my Excedrin, b/c my head hurts already!
barmetallicafanjb1.jpg

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    the MCSE classes here run for 9-10 months so yours is about 3 and a half months? I don't know what level or pace they are teaching it at, but in the course here, just about any one who shows up and puts a honest effort(showing up everyday and a few hours a week of extra study) can pass at the tech schools here
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I'm not sure...the MOC courses are about 5 days per subject...and usually that's one exam and isn't enough to prepare you for the exam. I would say that is definitely Boot Camp pace.

Good luck man!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your wasting your money, 5 days per exam, what do you learn from that?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:

More like 2 days per exam isn't it?

14 weeks for 7 exams = 2 weeks per exam
    2 classes per week = 4 classes per exam
    Classes are 4 hours each = 16 hours per exam
    16 hours is like two 8 hour days.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't believe this things are condoned so just this people can make money, any IT professional knows that this route taints certification credibility, and it leads to catasthrophy, I can even careless if they got 10 years of experience, in a production environment, microsoft technology is not implemented 100 %, those unused technology is what you need to learn, so by the end of the day your not just a paper tiger lol :P.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    jbaello wrote:

I've learned a lot using the Microsoft Offical Courses throughout my two year route to MCSE. Hands-on labs, an MCT to drill with questions about the material or problems/ideas for your work production, learning about the unused technologies that could replace expensive solutions since it's included with Windows Server or provided free by MS, etc.

I learn best in a classroom environment. I can't pickup a thick book, read it all, setup a lab, and explain the material to myself...especially a MS book. I also wouldn't have the environment all setup to test with all software that I wouldn't need to buy, like ISA, Exchange, Server Enterprise, PKI In frastructures, NT 4, eXCHANGE 5.5, etc. The MOC's provide that along with an MCT that has been there done that.

What do you learn from just reading and not doing what you read...you memorize the 5 FSMO roles, but have no idea how to implement the separation of them.

To the Original Poster...if it is 14 weeks of training using MOC courses and not Boot Camp, do not let them rush you through!! Take one class at a time, study and practice hard, then take the exam. Afterward, move on to the next class. It took me on average two months after each class to prepare for the exam. The classes can't teach everything or fully prepare you for the exam. Use technet to fill the holes in the courseware, use a VM environment at work or at home to practice implementing and administering the technologies you learn, etc. When in class, drill your MCT about anything and everything you aren't clear about or about stuff the book or course may leave out...I always go to the Preparation guide for the exam and see what isn't fully covered by the specific course. I then make a note to ask a BUNCH of questions about those subjects when in class...it helps!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • superrob5superrob5 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:
    the MCSE classes here run for 9-10 months so yours is about 3 and a half months? I don't know what level or pace they are teaching it at, but in the course here, just about any one who shows up and puts a honest effort(showing up everyday and a few hours a week of extra study) can pass at the tech schools here

anybody know of place like this on Long Island? I like the idea of not killing myself and wanting to learn this information.

Thanks

Rob