CCNA/CCNP SOON

sefco9sefco9 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alex here..... just had a few question for all you certified people out there i am currently a CCNA looking forward to CCNP. My question to the users is what kind of a value dose a person have in the job market with these certifications? Would a starter begin with $15 an hour? please shed some light on this for me thanks guys.......Alex out.......
Best Regards
Alex

Comments

• remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With 4-5 years of general experience in IT with more of a computer repair and system admin (windows server) background, I currently make $30 an hour with my new CCNA. I live and work North of New York City. It depends on your personality, your experience, and your IT knowledge.
  • techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It also depends on location. I currently make $45k/year in the dirty south. I've been a Network Admin for over 2 years and been in various PC/Network install/repair positions since 1998. Anyone think I'm underpaid?
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How close are you to getting your degree? Your most significant roadblock is going to be your lack of experience. See if you can either work or volunteer at your school, so you can get some hands-on experience.

You can probably expect around $15 for a new CCNA, but as the other posters point out, many other factors will influence your pay as well.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It can really depend, I have students that are new to the industry landing jobs from $20-$30 per hour on a regular basis. Where in NJ are you located?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yea, I do not have my degree yet, I graduate in May. 45k seems decent for down south. I was offered a job for when I graduate for Bank of America for 55k down in the Charlotte area for Networking.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    sefco9 wrote:
    Alex here..... just had a few question for all you certified people out there i am currently a CCNA looking forward to CCNP. My question to the users is what kind of a value dose a person have in the job market with these certifications? Would a starter begin with $15 an hour? please shed some light on this for me thanks guys.......Alex out.......

Without experience, a CCNA might get you a smile and a cup of coffee, but don't expect a decent-paying job. I'd recommend you do some volunteer work somewhere, which will count for work experience - even if it's only a few hours a week. At that point you might be able to get your foot in the door somewhere with a networking job.

Good luck!
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sefco9 wrote:

Without experience, a CCNA might get you a smile and a cup of coffee, but don't expect a decent-paying job. I'd recommend you do some volunteer work somewhere, which will count for work experience - even if it's only a few hours a week. At that point you might be able to get your foot in the door somewhere with a networking job.

Good luck!

I disagree 100%. If you have a CCNA and you can't land somthing that pays money (not volunteer) you're doing something wrong. If you're sending out your resume and not getting calls, you resume needs work. If you're getting called in for initial interviews/phone interviews and not getting call backs, either your technical skills are weak or you are bad at interviewing. I am an instructor and the owner of a school. I get students all the time that come in, take classes, get certified, and find employment. Some of these people previously were employed as truck drivers, insurance salesmen, and recently I have seen an influx of people who were in the mortgage business. The list is pretty diverse.

Maybe it's just the area, I am not sure about that, but I see people getting hired all the time with nothing more than the hands on experience from the classroom and working in the labs.

Bottom line, if you have a CCNA and the technical skills that go with it, you can land $15+ an hour entry level in my area, and most of the time $20+ an hour.

Again much of the employment process is dependant on your ability to interview.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:

Maybe it's just the area, I am not sure about that, but I see people getting hired all the time with nothing more than the hands on experience from the classroom and working in the labs.

I would imagine having the ccna course on their cv is what is getting the job along with the ccna cert.But it might be a different story with just the ccna and self study.Too many dumper ccnas out there have made the cert a joke.Interviewers are sick of wasting their time so now request minimal experience.CCNA after a couse looks alot better to the employer unfornunately for us but lucky for you. Ching Ching!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$