CEH credibility

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Ok I just got my CCNA, and SEC+ a few months ago. I am really interested in the CEH, but I have been hearing things in regards to its credibility lately.

Has anyone else heard anything of this nature?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There are a few threads in this forum on the controversies surrounding the EC-Council and the CEH certification.

Also, realize that if you do not attend the offical EC-Council CEH training class, you must have at least two years of information security related experience to take the CEH exam.

CEH Exam Info
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Thanks JD,

Yes I have the needed experience, just not sure if I want to devote the time and money to this cert if it is a questionable cert.

I find the subject matter VERY interesting and I already use many of the tools at my current job.

Perhaps I am answering my own question, and I should just attempt a different certification. This is a bummer, becuase like I mentioned this one seems like a lot of fun!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can always just pick up a few training resources and learn for fun :D

I'm in the same camp as you. The material looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I want to go after the cert.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you have an employer that will pay for the cert, I'd consider going for it. It's not a detriment to have the CEH on your resume, and there are other pen testing certs that you can also obtain to balance it out. I see a dozen or so postings on Dice.com that list "CEH" or "ethical hacker."

Are you a professional pen tester, or is pen testing just part of your job function? I'm interested in discovering how people actually end up becoming professional pen testers.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I am not a pen tester.

However intrustion detection and prevention are big parts of my daily duties.

But security as a whole is my job. Everything from fighting viruses to making sure the doors are locked. Now I am not a "red team" member. But, I have to keep those guys out. So the more I know the easier it is for me to do my job. And CISSP style info really doesn't do me much good at finding and fighting back doors etc...

How did I get into this role? I have no idea... To be honest it just kinda happened, but I am not complaining I really enjoy it.

I guess I might just go a head and get this cert. Like I said I really think it sounds interesting (compare to most of the certs I have studied for).

Then I will probably move on to CISSP.