Help needed regarding XAMPP installation

wiplashprabwiplashprab Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi...i installed xampp for windows in my computer..however Apache is not running...everytime i try to run it, an error message pops up saying some other device is using "port 80"..how do i asign the port 80 to apache...plz help

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,

did you running IIS or any apps that use port 80?
    and you have to allow windows firewall to unblock XAMPP apps (apache, perl, php etc).
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try stopping the World Wide Web service (WWW) on your pc.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • wiplashprabwiplashprab Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how can i force port 80 to be used by apache?
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    how can i force port 80 to be used by apache?

First make sure that any routers/firewalls are not blocking access to Port 80. The Windows Firewall could be a definite culprit here.

I know that with Linux there is a configuration file for Apache where you can choose which port to use. Currently I am running Apache on a Linux computer for development so I do not know off hand where the configuration file would be stored on a Microsoft machine (since I use IIS there). Trying to go from memory since I am not at home I think the filename ended in .conf on Linux. Check your documentation or search for this configuration file on your computer to make the change. I believe the installer for Apache on Windows prompts you to select a port during installation. If you really can't find it you could always uninstall/re-install Apache and look closely at your initial settings during installation.

If you want to keep Apache on Port 80 then you definitely cannot have multiple web servers all running on port 80. You will have to disable (or switch to another port) any other web servers you are running. Since you mentioned it was installed on "my computer" I am guessing this is for development purposes. If that is the case you may have one of the other web servers configured for access through the loop back address. Try visiting http://localhost/ or 127.0.0.1 with your web browser and see if it gives any indication as to what web server is running. If so you can proceed to close or make the neccessary modifications to it.

Another option would be to view the task manager and see what other services are running on your PC. If you identify any as web servers you could work from there. Also, you could run msconfig from the run prompt to see what programs are running at start-up which would likely include whatever other web server you may be running.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    search for httpd.conf inside xampp root folder. but as a warning - you cant just change its default web service port 80 to another - if you do so - your apache-hosted website (virtual directory) will not run.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    search for httpd.conf

That was the name I couldn't remember. Thanks! (at least I had the .conf ending part right). Good luck wiplashprab, let us know if any of these suggestions work for you (or if the problem changes to a different one after trying them).