What are key skills to list on a resume?

So far my list is as follows:

Microsoft Windows NT
Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows ME
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Microsoft Office 97/2002/2003

Active Directory
Cisco VPN
DHCP
DNS
EasySpooler/Update
FTP
IIS
TCP/IP
Wired/Wireless LAN

Are there any key skills that I should be mentioning? Maybe msi deployment? Group policies? VMware? Any protocols I'm possibly forgetting? I'm having a hard time deciding whats important or not to list as a skill set.

I'm just looking for ideas since my skills list seems rather lacking and very basic. Of course it depends on what I actually have experience with but maybe someone could list some keywords I should be mentioning.

p.s. I'm currently a Network Admin for a vitamin manufacturer of about 100 users, might help with some ideas

Thanks !

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should list what ever skills you are competant with and that apply to the position you are seeking. You should probably list how you have used these rather than a long list of items that looks like you copy and pasted their job add. Also I would take off the older out dated ones unless the company is seeking these skills.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should list what ever skills you are competant with and that apply to the position you are seeking. You should probably list how you have used these rather than a long list of items that looks like you copy and pasted their job add. Also I would take off the older out dated ones unless the company is seeking these skills.

Ding ding. Networker050184 is the winner. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Univ3rs@lUniv3rs@l Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□

How would someone lists skills and describe how they use them??
    For example instead of just simply putting Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 I would add something like "Administered a Microsfot Exchange 2003 enviroment supporting xx amount of users blah blah blah...." under your previous experience. Anyone can just list a long string of technologies on their resume, but if you show the reader how you used these technologies in an enterprise enviroment then you are one up on the guy with the simple list.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make it an action list instead of just having a static list of items. Instead of just saying TCP/IP and Wireless, say that you designed and deployed a lan that included wireless capabilities. Elaborate on "Exchange 2003." Say you supported X number of users in a corporate environment.

Server 2003 has a huge range of capabilities. I could say I have experience with it even if all I knew how to do was create an OU. Do you design GPOs? Can you configure DNS and RRAS? Describe what you do with your knowledge and experience.

Include numbers wherever you can. Show what your results have been. I actually did this as a test with a casual interview. I include stats in about half of my items, and sure enough, those were the ones that caught his interest. It was pretty funny.

You have a limited amount of space. You get the best results when you tailor your resume for each specific position. If the position focuses on RRAS, leave off Win98 troubleshooting and focus on what the company is looking for.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    For example instead of just simply putting Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 I would add something like "Administered a Microsfot Exchange 2003 enviroment supporting xx amount of users blah blah blah...." under your previous experience. Anyone can just list a long string of technologies on their resume, but if you show the reader how you used these technologies in an enterprise enviroment then you are one up on the guy with the simple list.

So in the same sense, shouldn't I just remove the "skills list" from my resume and pack it all in the job history instead?

It's funny because I got the whole skills list thing from school. I went through school where every technology professor would tell you to list every piece of software you've used on your resume. Looking back now after I've actually worked in the field I can see most of them really don't know what they're talking about. It's a scary thing.

Anyways, I think the biggest problem I'm having is knowing what's important enough to mention. I'm looking for those power keywords. For example, I wouldn't even think to mention "disaster recovery" until I saw it reading through another person's resume, at that time I was reminded "oh yeah, I do that!". Know what I mean? It just gets down to the point where you do so much in a job you forget to mention the little things that are part of your daily routine.
    Its not "wrong" to have a list on there. I just think the list isnt very good some people may have a different opinion. Like dynamik stated if you tailor your resume for the position you are applying then you can highlight what is relative to the position.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paintb4707 wrote:
    It's funny because I got the whole skills list thing from school. I went through school where every technology professor would tell you to list every piece of software you've used on your resume.
    If you're getting set to graduate from College and you've only had McJobs -- listing that stuff may be the only thing you have to put on your resume that stands a chance of getting hits when your resume is searched. But you should still try to dress it up a bit -- otherwise it does just look like a list of things being used to fill up your resume.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I usually list my Microsoft OS skills as one:
    Microsoft Windows 9x/nt/2k/xp/etc
    takes up less room :)