Config Fiasco with my router

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
Hi guys,

I'm getting some gray hair here tonight trying to configure my router for remote access. I'm doing this not because it's for fun, but becuase I want to access my router remotely while I work (since I spend most of my waking hrs there icon_cry.gif )

I just manged to assign an IP address to the thing and set it's speed and stuff; but when I view the configuration of the moden, it says the interface Async65 is "down".

I've huffed and puffed but couldn't figure out how to change that status to "up". How do I get it up.... or is there another way to do this.

Thanks for the help
2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I just picked up the command "no shutdown" from somewhere..... but it's still not chaging the status..... icon_cry.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Does the router have a modem module or WIC? If you don't know, how many modem ports does it have. I have very little experience with 2600s, and none at all with modem wics or modules, but I assume it will come up when you dial-in, once it's correctly and completely configured...

Please post the output of the show version command and if possible a picture of the backside of your router.

icon_arrow.gifUnderstanding Analog Modem Network Modules
    icon_arrow.gifUnderstanding Analog Modem WAN Interface Cards
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    IF he doesnt have a pic, i suppose an exact model number should give us an idea right? Well unless it has different modules installed.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
    Well unless it has different modules installed.
    Exactly why I'm asking for the pic, although the show version command should reveal it as well. The 2611XM has 2 fixed slots, and 2 network modules slots and 1 WIC slot, both with a huge amount of options.
    Man i wish i had one of those for my labs.. Also another switch.. A 2950 would be nice... So i can practice my trunking
    Yeah, the price of Cisco equipment is their main disadvantage. icon_wink.gif
    They should just loan it to students like us icon_wink.gif
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Cisco is always welcome to give out routers and switches!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    I don't have a digital camera at home, but I can draw a diagram of the router's backside.

But here is the show version:
    HORTEL#show version                   
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software                                            
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2([IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]T5,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)                                                                               
    TAC Support: [url]http://www.cisco.com/tac[/url]                                     
    Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco S                                
    Compiled Fri 21-Jun-02 08:50 by ccai                                    
    Image text-base: 0x80008074, data-base: 0x80A2BD40                                                  

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)                                                                          

HORTEL uptime is 8 minutes                          
    System returned to ROM by power-on                                  
    System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-8.T5.bin"                                                    

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 27648K/5120K bytes of mem                                                                                
    ory.    
    Processor board ID JAD065206AS (3747137620)                                           
    M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2                                     
    Bridging software.                  
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.                             
    2 FastEthernet/IEEE 80                    
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.                                               
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)                                                         

Configuration register is 0x2102

and the router's show line:
    HORTEL#show line
       Tty Typ     Tx/Rx    A Modem  Roty AccO AccI   Uses   Noise  Overruns   Int
    *    0 CTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        65 AUX  19200/19200 - inout     -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        66 VTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        67 VTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        68 VTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        69 VTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
        70 VTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -

Line(s) not in async mode -or- with no hardware support:
    1-64

HORTEL#

I've been playing with the speed and stuff (as you can see above), but nothing's working.

And the Async65 interface is always down. Here is the current interface summary of the router:

Current interface summary

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Prot
    ocol
    Async65                    195.100.100.20  YES NVRAM  down                  down

FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down dow

Just let me know if there is more info I can provide. I really need to get this thing up, becuase I could spend my 2 hr lunch/siesta (this is how it works here icon_cry.gif ) break studying rather than spending it at the restaurant and transforming myself into a gluttonous eater. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the help.
    2lbs.
    and one more thing.... the router doesn't have a modem module or a WIC (I figured this out by reffering to the links you provided). My modem is connected to the port labled "AUX" via a black RJ45-to-DB25 cable.

When I insert the cable into the router, the modem's TR light will come on. I suppose this means the cable is working; but the router won't answer when I call the number.
    I kinda had the same problem with things going offline till i was able to get all the perimiters set.. i/e the ethernet and serial ports.. I am not sure, but you might have to have it connected to another router for it to work.. Stay online.. Of course, i am a student like you...
    Yeah...but you know more networking than I do icon_lol.gif

My router probably has some previous configuration that screws the thing up. I can only think of two problems:

1- (and most likely) I'm not configuring it properly
    2- The cable is probably not the right one (which is not likely becuase the TR light comes on on the modem).

I can't even telnet my fastethernet 0/0 interface..... (it say's destination host unreachable. IT"S ON THE SAME ROUTER ain't it icon_cry.gif )

...hope webmaster replies before my head starts to zzzzzzz'zzzz
    2lbs.
    I'm kinda confused how you are going into the router.. But i'm new at this.. Are you using a console cable? or are you using a modem to go in through the aux port? you shouldnt be able to telnet in till you get the ethernet port set up.. (i would think.) then you would telnet into it thourgh telnet ip address. Can you ping the ip address? if not, then it's probably not set up correctly.
    my router has an AUX port and a Console port and the modem is connected to the AUX port.

anyways: good news is that the router is now answering calls to the modem. bad thing is that I don't know why it first chose not to answer; and why it just started working properly right now. I ran the show running-config command again but the Asyn65 line is still down; even though I executed the command via dialup using "Hyperterminal". Well well...I guess I'll get a good grasp of that stuff as I continue with my reading.

thanks a lot for the help. icon_lol.gif
    2lbs
    Because you mentioned "Async65" I automatically assumed a module or wic, not a connection to the aux port, which is line 1 on 2500s. The setup you want to create is explained in this Cisco doc.
    Today I got a chance to touch a router at our workplace. (And by touch... I only got to read it's ip route table icon_cry.gif ).....

....and so, of course, I had a problem. I didn't scew up anything (they wouldn't even let me go into the enable mode). But what I did was that I took my router to work and asked my friend who works in that department to let me connect my computer to my router and then see if I could still use the internet. He allowed me to do so..... and he kindly added a static ip route for my newly created network (10.0.0.0/icon_cool.gif. And on the other hand, I added a default route (gateway of last resort) to the network 66.151.209.0 (The network the other router is on).

I wish I could depict the network in a diagram, but anyhow..... my f0/0 interface is connected to my 10.0.0.0 network, and my f0/1 int is connected to their network (which is 66.151.209.0/2icon_cool.gif. He gave my router a temporary IP address (66.151.209.6).

Now the ip address of the router that connects us to the internet is 66.151.209.1

i can ping that router from my computer. But I can't do 2 things.

1-Obviously, I sill can't browse the internet from my computer, and
    2- I can't ping the other people on our same network.

My computer has been able to browse the internet before I connected it (via crossover cable) to my router. It used to use the 66.151.209.1 router as a default gateway and two other DNS servers for DNS stuff.

The network has a few switches and some hubs here and there.

If you're still with me after this page of writing.... what do you think might be the problem.

thanks icon_lol.gif
    2lbs.
    one more thing. I thought the dynamic rounting could be a problem, so I removed the dynamic routing and in it's place and ran this command on my router

2lbs(config)#ip route 66.151.209.0 255.255.255.240 66.151.209.1

and I got my friend to add this to the other router:

as01s.mg1(config)#ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 66.151.209.6

Now with this configuration, I can do these things:

1-Ping the 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 Network (I noticed the site translates the number eight into a cool guy with sunglasess icon_cool.gif) from the router (as01s.mg1).
    3-Ping the IP address of yahoo from my router (2lbs). I get a 100% success rate and I can ping almost any other IP address on the internet.

But I can't ping the IP address of yahoo from my computer.... icon_cry.gif . And of course, I can't browse the internet from my computer.

any ideas....
    2lbs.