Options

Questionable questions in Transcender practice tests.

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Transcender. I don't think I would have passed any of my exams without them.

However, has anyone else encountered questions that are remarkably similar to the ones on the actual tests? Now, I know that it isn't possible to come up with completely original questions for some topics, but when I see a fairly complex scenario involving multiple sites and replication (for example) from Transcender appear practically verbatim on the exam, it strikes me as a bit odd.

The one glaring example that sticks out in my mind was this obscure Bluetooth question I came across on the Transcender practice test for 70-270 (XP). I remember thinking how odd it was to encounter that being that I didn't remember ever coming across any Bluetooth-related information in any of the study materials I used. However, when I took the test, there it was, nearly word-for-word.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what are your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have never used Transcender before but if it is using real exam questions it belongs with the rest of the **** as far as I'm concerned.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't used them either but have heard similar claims made by other people. Back in the 1990's with the NT exams I know they were word for word copies of the exams but I thought they got slapped around by Microsoft for it and now made their own questions.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I have also noticed this with both Transcender and TestOut. The real test questions were not exactly verbatim, but close enough that I could recognize and realize that I've seen them before in my study and preparation.

From everything I've heard and seen, both Transcender and TestOut are considered legit study material and not "braindumps"
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I've had one or two questions that looked very similar in previous exams but that would hardly constitute Transcender practice exams "****" even in the slightest.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Thiassi wrote:
    I've had one or two questions that looked very similar in previous exams but that would hardly constitute Transcender practice exams "****" even in the slightest.

Yea i noticed 1 or 2 when studying for my 70-270 as well but i have to agree with Thiassi
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote:
    Thiassi wrote:

Yea i noticed 1 or 2 when studying for my 70-270 as well but i have to agree with Thiassi

+1

Recognizing a familiar question (or two or even three) is not hard when you consider there are only so many ways to ask a question - about Blue Tooth for instance, in a way that is stated in the "Skills Being Measured". Additionally, Microsoft uses a certian "language" in their exams that is easy to emulate, and Transcender is particularly good at it.

**** are usually when you recognize 10-15 or even more questions verbatim.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wasn't accusing them of being a ****. They always provide great explanations and resources for further study for each question. It's hardly a system for just memorizing test questions. I agree that there are only a few questions per exam that are like this. I was just curious if others had experienced this and what they thought.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Transcender. I don't think I would have passed any of my exams without them.

However, has anyone else encountered questions that are remarkably similar to the ones on the actual tests? Now, I know that it isn't possible to come up with completely original questions for some topics, but when I see a fairly complex scenario involving multiple sites and replication (for example) from Transcender appear practically verbatim on the exam, it strikes me as a bit odd.

The one glaring example that sticks out in my mind was this obscure Bluetooth question I came across on the Transcender practice test for 70-270 (XP). I remember thinking how odd it was to encounter that being that I didn't remember ever coming across any Bluetooth-related information in any of the study materials I used. However, when I took the test, there it was, nearly word-for-word.

I have never used Transcender. I can tell you though that when I was doing my MCSE in NT 4.0 they were heavily criticised all over the web for providing actual test questions and being ****. They were very popular with people who wanted to cram for the tests and pass them quickly. I don't know if things have changed. I had a chat session with transcender sales earlier in the year and when I asked them about this (I was looking for a test for Novell) they said that their questions are very close to the actual exam questions with subtle changes in the wording.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't used Transcender in a long time, but I have found the uCertify test to be the same as what you're saying, like certain minor aspects of the question have changed (more so than a TK **** for example) but it's the same question. I walked in to an exam and had almost the exact same scenario drag-and-drop question as a practice test I used.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Turgon wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I have never used Transcender. I can tell you though that when I was doing my MCSE in NT 4.0 they were heavily criticised all over the web for providing actual test questions and being ****. They were very popular with people who wanted to cram for the tests and pass them quickly. I don't know if things have changed. I had a chat session with transcender sales earlier in the year and when I asked them about this (I was looking for a test for Novell) they said that their questions are very close to the actual exam questions with subtle changes in the wording.

Sounds like a Salesman wanting a sale because what he described certainly has not been the case for any of the Transcender exams I've used.

I've heard before that for NT they were **** but they've turned themselves around (lawsuit threat?) in recent years and are now a really useful learning tool. Ucertify definitely are a **** company and I refuse to touch them with a bargepole.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    In my own perspective, practice test companies like transcender tend to build their reputation by covering all possible questions regarding an objective. With hundreds of questions and scenarios tailored for exam preparation, one may think or feel like it was too close to the real exam. (most likely if you passed)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    If they grab there questions from the objectives its pretty easy to get close to the exam, however I'm sure they send out agents to check out the test to make sure they area close to whats on the exam. Remember this is a business they are running. I'm not condeming or condoning what they do since I have never used one of there test banks, but its a business like I said earlier. icon_confused.gif