Just another one trying to get the CCIE Security

determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
All,

I haven't been posting much in the last couple months.....might actually be a year or so now but I have been on the site checking for posts daily. I just recently moved from Chicago to Dallas....talk about a big difference.

The wife recently approved a $10000 - $15000 budget for equipment that I need to fulfill my study for the CCIE Security. I have been reading some books since I got my CCSP but haven't really been back in the study mode that I was in before.

I am shooting for the written exam here within the next 4 months. I already ordered and bought a good chunk of the books on the recommended reading list on Cisco's website.

I guess I just wanted to post this to make another mark and add to the number of people that are trying to get their CCIE and post on this website.

Any tips, tricks and hints are very much appreciated. Websites with useful information regarding the IE other than the Cisco website and documentation. What helped you in your studies and what did you use. What equipment did you buy or use for your IE studies.

I won't be posting too much but will keep you up to date on the progress and failures....lol

Mike

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look at what the CCIE workbook.lab vendors are using in their racks, and of course look at the cisco's website and see what they list. I haven't done anything for the CCIE security but one of my instructors has been working on it lately. He built a rack here with:

(2) PIX 515E
    (2) ASA 5510 (7.2 security plus for failover)
    (5) 3640's (These were removed from service in the CCNP racks)
    (1) 3005 VPN concentrator
    (1) ACS box
    (2) 3550-24EMI (Again these were removed from service )
    (1) 4215 (5.1 for vlan pairs)

Of course there were all the required modules and what not, but I think it all cost little more than you're looking to spend but none of it was purchased from eBay, all new.

You can also look into renting rack time for some of the more expensive gear, and buying the less expensive parts.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're not complaining about the move to Dallas are you? It was 6 degrees here this morning. That sounds like paradise.

You might want to check out http://safari.oreilly.com You can access all the Cisco books online for $40/month. You seem to have a pretty ambitious schedule, so if you're burning through your books that fast, this might be a better option for you.

Post some pics of your rack(s) once you get going. Those are always great for us Cisco novices to marvel at. Good luck!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck to you!:D :D any recommendations for the CCSP as I plan to work on that as well as my NP after i finish my MCSA
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The wife recently approved a $10000 - $15000 budget for equipment that I need to fulfill my study for the CCIE Security.

Always good to have the CFO in your corner! :D

Good hunting! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Ah -- so not just visiting us for the holidays! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably a somewhat extended holiday!!!! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:
    The wife recently approved a $10000 - $15000 budget for equipment that I need to fulfill my study for the CCIE Security.

Always good to have the CFO in your corner! :D

Good hunting! icon_wink.gif

Why not hang out at 224.0.0.18 too?