Options

Cisco internship *techpros group*

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I applied for cisco internship and just got a response. :)
This was what he replied to me with, so I need to make a choice whether to go through with it or now. I have no problem doing it but I'm not sure if this is a scam or some school trying to trick me to enroll(again). Here's the email:

Dear ######,

Based on an initial assessment of your resume, you have been conditionally accepted to begin the interview process for the LAN/WAN Engineer internship.

The LAN/WAN Engineer Internship Program is specifically designed for ambitious techies, college graduates, and professional career changers wanting to fast track to a position as a LAN/WAN professional but lack the technical skills, experience and/or certifications.

If you are accepted, we will invest over $20,000 in LAN/WAN training to get you fully certified in over 10 industry standard Microsoft and Cisco certifications to include the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) and the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP).

Upon successful completion of your training, Tech Pros Group will assign you to a regional Microsoft/Cisco consulting partner for a 1 year paid internship with a compensation starting at $30,000 escalating up to $72,000. For more information about our Microsoft/Cisco partnerships, you may click on the logos below in the signature section.

To initiate the application process, please read the attached document thoroughly. If it is your desire to be considered, you must contact me no later than MONDAY, OCTOBER 22nd, 2007 at. DO NOT submit the application until you have spoken with me directly.

Best Regards,
########## etc etc
****.com

So you pay a $95 application fee(which supposedly is refundable) and if accepted, go through some 6 week training course online to show your commitment. If accepted again, they will pay for several more months of cisco training(transportation and exam fees aren't covered).

After all the training is done, your sent to an interview. The usual timeframe to get a job is within six weeks.

Dunno, can't turn down free training. Though I read on some other forums that they may take 20% of what you earn from your first year on the job. Though again, can't complain about money I haven't got.

Any thoughts or experience with this particular company? The website is ****.com

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like a scam to me...... No body would be willing to do all that for $95. I'd try to find a position on your own.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Notice how they qualify for their own filter here :D

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14093

I thought these guys had finally been shut down..... might just be someone scamming for just the $95 "application fee"
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting, guess I should have searched first.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Haha!

I responded back to them, I appreciate your offer, however after reading many reviews from people who have gone through your program I am going to decline.

Thanks for the offer.

His response...

Well I am glad you would take some one elses feedback who you have never met over ours without first contacting us. You sure are a winner.

Good luck.

I was laughing so hard I almost pee'd myself.

Obviously they must be first class if they take the time to send an angry email letter back scolding me for not paying them to teach me to be a paper certified monkey.

Haha! I will have to copy and paste the email.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I got this email to, without even first applying or contacting them.

If they are that desperate, that they have to email first, is a sure sign its a scam.

win2k4
  • Options
    THX1138THX1138 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Techpros is ligit...somewhat. They do provide online training and limited access to a VPN remote. They also prepare you for exams.
    The $95.00 fee is refundable if you are not accepted. If accepted, you are out the money. But it doesn't stop there. It's a long way from free. The registration fee is $390, and the materials (2 spiral bound books, a T-shirt, a nice "trapper keeper type" folder, and a pen) are $300 plus $44 for shipping. The exams are about $230 each. I believe there are 4 of those. And it's all quietly detailed in a lovely contract that you sign along with your credit card.
    No refunds. Don't care if you hate it. No refunds.
    It's not a scam because I can call someone anytime and actually get an answer to a question. Most scams don't offer that kind of benefit. Your acceptance into an internship depends on where geographically you want to go and how you did on your test and assignments. They track your every move and only award paid internships to the top 30% of the class.

Yes, they need to stop using the word "free". And telling how much the "free" education is worth in their ad is real cheesey. It may be a cheaper way to go with a little help, but it's not free.
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    THX1138 wrote:
    Techpros is ligit...somewhat. They do provide online training and limited access to a VPN remote. They also prepare you for exams.
    The $95.00 fee is refundable if you are not accepted. If accepted, you are out the money. But it doesn't stop there. It's a long way from free. The registration fee is $390, and the materials (2 spiral bound books, a T-shirt, a nice "trapper keeper type" folder, and a pen) are $300 plus $44 for shipping. The exams are about $230 each. I believe there are 4 of those. And it's all quietly detailed in a lovely contract that you sign along with your credit card.
    No refunds. Don't care if you hate it. No refunds.
    It's not a scam because I can call someone anytime and actually get an answer to a question. Most scams don't offer that kind of benefit. Your acceptance into an internship depends on where geographically you want to go and how you did on your test and assignments. They track your every move and only award paid internships to the top 30% of the class.

Yes, they need to stop using the word "free". And telling how much the "free" education is worth in their ad is real cheesey. It may be a cheaper way to go with a little help, but it's not free.

And that from someone who has never posted here before.......hhhhhmmmmmmm fishy!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    THX1138 wrote:
    Your acceptance into an internship depends on where geographically you want to go and how you did on your test and assignments.
    So how's your "internship" spamming for them going? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Subtle...Subtler than a subtle thing on subtle day in subtlevania.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    THX1138THX1138 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I'm not spamming. Notice some sarcasm in my post.

Personally I think the whole program sucks to high hell. Free....should be fraud.

So whatcha gotta do to post on this board without getting criticism about being a noob? Is there a 'puter nerd initiation or something? Do I need to gain the respect of people that I don't know? icon_evil.gif
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    THX1138 wrote:
    Actually I'm not spamming. Notice some sarcasm in my post.

Personally I think the whole program sucks to high hell. Free....should be fraud.

So whatcha gotta do to post on this board without getting criticism about being a noob? Is there a 'puter nerd initiation or something? Do I need to gain the respect of people that I don't know? icon_evil.gif

If you have an issue with them I would contact the Attorney General office for your state and report them.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    silkverbsilkverb Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Eric Choi who is supposedly the CEO of techpros had started a school about 5 or so years ago called ICTP- International Consortium of Technical Professionals with his brother who at the time I was thinking about attending, wanted out of the company. The entire time it was pressure, pressure, pressure to get me to sign a $40,000 student loan. During this time however, Eric Choi had decided to close down the school, and all the students who were set to attend in Anaheim, CA had already been locked into their very high student loans through the Sally Mae foundation. All these people were out of the money, some even moved out here from Europe to attend "one of the best IT schools in the nation" apparently. They have an outstanding hustle game and the reason I'm responding to this is because I too received the same email and was thinking about attending until I saw Eric Choi's name in the CEO letter.

It's very much a scam. The only reason this individual has not been incarcerated yet is due to California laws. He starts companies and then shuts them down after he collects a lot of the money from all the student loans. At that point he takes his money and then starts another school, gets loans for all the equipment for the servers, computers, routers, etc and starts the scam all over again. They can't catch him because apparently its a new company every time. I haven't heard about him since ICTP but I will be contacting the California attorney general tomorrow so that they're made aware of his new location and hopefully so that more students don't get ripped off for their education.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Saw a similar posting on Hotjobs. I reported it as abuse.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=188794&messageID=2075732

and u shall find more if you put in tech pro and scam into google.

I was ovewhelmed with what there weere offering in MS and Cisco certifications .