Using Testout

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Hi all,

I've been using Testout for a month or so now and am getting over 90% in all of the simulation exams. I haven't been using any other study guide.

Is Testout alone enough to get me through the new exam? I read somewhere the Testout isn't really all that good but others think it's fantastic.

Any opinions??

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I cant speak for it directly, but generally speaking people say that you should have at least 2 resources.

I like to have 2 paper resources and at least 2 practice tests.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    TestOut is a good resource, but you will definitely need another study-guide. No course covers everything, nor does one single information resource. I'd recommend checking out what books are to your liking, and make sure you nail down the details that the TestOut course may have left out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Thanks guys,

Do you think the TechNotes on this site could qualify as a second resource (I haven't looked at them yet) or will I need to get a Mike Meyers or Sybex book or something similar.

If these questions seem a little silly it's just because this is the first exam I have sat since school (which was almost two decades ago!!) and I don't really have any idea of what I'm doing when it comes to studying for an exam.

Thanks for your help!!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best thing you can do is try to use all the resources at hand. If you go through the TestOut course, read the TechNotes, and then go to CompTIA's website and feel like you're comfortable with all the topics listed in the exam objectives, then you're probably ready. If you don't feel like you're ready, pick up another book or resource and keep studying.

And don't worry about feeling silly asking questions or being nervous about your first exam. We all started out as newbies, we all had that nerve-pumping "first exam", and we all felt lost and confused before getting comfortable with certs and IT in general. Best of luck to you on your exam, don't be afraid to ask questions, and make sure you read up on as much as you can before shelling out the money to sit for the test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wbosher wrote:
    Thanks guys,

Do you think the TechNotes on this site could qualify as a second resource (I haven't looked at them yet) or will I need to get a Mike Meyers or Sybex book or something similar.

If these questions seem a little silly it's just because this is the first exam I have sat since school (which was almost two decades ago!!) and I don't really have any idea of what I'm doing when it comes to studying for an exam.

Thanks for your help!!

It's impossible for us to know what 'you' know. Best advice is to review CompTIA's objectives and you'll need to decide if they are items you can explain to someone else who knows nothing about them. Review a couple sources of materials. The PDF here is fantastic as A resource, but even at that I wouldn't say it's good as the sole source for most people.

As far as using testout...... icon_confused.gif I've heard people say they have good material....that being said, I'll probably never recommend testing software as a means to prepare for an exam. It's fine to use to measure your level of competancy, but even from your post you indicate you are now scoring around/over 90%.....which to me (and I could be incorrect) to me indicates knowledge based on learning the correct answer to a question.

You'll need to decide on your own, but I'd recommend some books or videos like the CBTNuggets or Trainsignal materials.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Plantwiz wrote:
    As far as using testout...... icon_confused.gif I've heard people say they have good material....that being said, I'll probably never recommend testing software as a means to prepare for an exam. It's fine to use to measure your level of competancy, but even from your post you indicate you are now scoring around/over 90%.....which to me (and I could be incorrect) to me indicates knowledge based on learning the correct answer to a question.

You'll need to decide on your own, but I'd recommend some books or videos like the CBTNuggets or Trainsignal materials.

actually Plantwiz TestOut is a lot like CBTNuggets or Trainsignal...their material is comprised of instructional video, brief reading material, simulated lab exercises, and practice questions. So I will always recommend TestOut software it helped me immensely for my cisco exam between watching videos and simulations.
    shednik wrote:

actually Plantwiz TestOut is a lot like CBTNuggets or Trainsignal...their material is comprised of instructional video, brief reading material, simulated lab exercises, and practice questions. So I will always recommend TestOut software it helped me immensely for my cisco exam between watching videos and simulations.

Thanks, yes I realize testout is fairly well recommend by people....what I didn't care to see was that the 90% range was reached on exams....perhaps I've mis-read but it seemed to be a comment of using practice test portion to prepare solely...i.e. "I have taken the exams enough to now reach 90% consistancey...should I schedule the live exam?" sort of comment.

My comment wasn't that testout is a bad quality product, I'm not a fan of practice exams being used to prepare for more then a before study and a just before exam date gauge of ones knowledge. Otherwise it just about getting acclimated to reading multiple guess questions to pass an exam....to me that's not studying...it's rehearsing Q&A.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

Hi Plantwiz,

I probably should have been a bit clearer. I'm not just doing the exams, but the whole course. I wan't to actually learn this stuff to make it easier on myself when I go for CCNA next. I have been through the course and now I am getting high marks on the exam sims (including the ones on this site). I think going through the objectives seems to be the way to go.

I appreciate all the advice I've recieved, thanks everyone.
    I stand correct.

My apologies.

Just not a fan of the practice-testing prior to an exam.

Thank you for clarifying.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• bsm2bsm2 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its a great product , exams questions are good, test labs where you connect cables,drives, printer etc... give you learning when you have not or do not have the equipment.
    Sim labs of the Operating systems work great!!!!! Like windows 2000 server ,2003 server, windows XP.

Its 50 hours of real life training. icon_lol.gif
    bsm2 wrote:

I'll doubt that. I'm sure it's helpful but nothing equals real life training except...real life training. There is a thread that we discuss this and I"m not rehashing it here. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

Plantwiz wrote:
    bsm2 wrote:

I'll doubt that. I'm sure it's helpful but nothing equals real life training except...real life training. There is a thread that we discuss this and I"m not rehashing it here. :)

You're right in saying that there is no real substitute for real life experience. However, for some people that is just not an option. I work on a helpdesk and have no real access to any networking equipment through work (they may be looking into some sort of practice lab in the future but not in time for me) and can't afford to buy the gear to build a home network to practice on, so unfortunately simulators is the next best thing.
    Yes, something is better then nothing. No disagreements from me there. So long as the test lab scenerio is understood to be a tool and NOT experience.....because (as I wanted to avoid this :) )....the candidate CONTROLS the environement. You break it. You fix it. No stress. No value on the data possibly being lost. No family demands. No client demands....etc.. the stress just is not replicated (and in a learning situation this is ok at first). It's a start. That I'll agree ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

You're right in saying that the simulators don't offer the real life experience. But that will come with the job. The aim here is merely to gain enough knowledge to pass the Network+ exam which will in turn (hopefully) allow me, and many others, to secure a bottom level networking position. That's where the experience will come from, not from study and sims.

The sims are a useful tool to learn thing like tracert, ping, nslookup and also what type of cables or NICs are used for what type of network. Also it shows sample networks and provides a scenario where you have to trouble shoot a problem. Through repitition, this will hopefully make passing the exam a little easier. Personally, I find it easier to learn some things by doing them (even if it is an artificial atmosphere) than simply reading how to do it.
    wbosher wrote:
    Personally, I find it easier to learn some things by doing them (even if it is an artificial atmosphere) than simply reading how to do it.

I'll agree with that too!
    Plantwiz
    _____