Noob Question

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I currently studied a bit of 801 exam, but due to the exam changing, I was not able to make it.

My question, is my equipment still good and usable for the CCNA 802 exam?

I am really new to cisco, and as far as what I heard they are using IPv6 on 802.

My antique gadgets...

x1 2610 Router
x1 2611 Router - 5 Serial Interface
x1 2948G Switch - 48 Port (like a vacuum cleaner)

Thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    That equipment isn't really antique and if you look though the forums you will see that people studying for the CCNA, CCNP and CCIE are using 2600 Routers in their Home Labs.....

You might want to add some more for future studies but this is a good start......

Check out some other posts about home labs and such in the Cisco Forums....
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    you should be just fine with that. CCNA is more about getting hands on with the IOS, understanding how to navigate around it, run various show and basic configuration commands. You don't really need to run any elaborate scenarios to learn the material.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jbaello wrote:
    293 & 294 Before 2008.

Don't you have more pressing matters? icon_eek.gif

None of that is going to be obsolete. I have a bunch of 25xx gear that will do the majority of what is necessary. You're probably going to want to add a couple of pieces to round out your lab anyway, so just make sure they cover any missing functionality.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My antique gadgets...

I still have 2600s in production. Most of them are xm but I don't have any issues with the ones that aren't xm models. If they can handle the traffic we put on them I'm sure those antiques will be good for your lab icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2948G is a CatOS based switch, it won't be much help for the CCNA because the command set is completely different, but the 2600's are fine for the CCNA.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the CATos upgradeable? me and a buddy tried tftp with no success...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only to newer versions of CatOS, the new exams are based of IOS switches, specifically the 2960 (the 2950 works fine as well). Some people use the 2900's but they have a slightly different interface and command outputs.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your help :)