CEH Resources

wasadeqwasadeq Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,

I have worked in security for few years and I am preparing for CEH exam, I am not intending to read theories to pass the course. I need hands-on tools used in the course of CEH. I noticed that certification books recommended (exam prep) are fine and address exam objectives but they lack including the tools to practice on.

Any suggestions or recommendation on getting these tools discussed in the course so that to practice on. In addition I would highly appreciate if you tell where to find useful resources for exam materials, tests, etc.

Thanks a lot.
icon_redface.gif

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Similar thread here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28379

Cramsession has a study guide, about 100 pages or so. I have the Exam Prep book and so far it is very good.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Cramsession has a study guide, about 100 pages or so. I have the Exam Prep book and so far it is very good.
    Has the Exam Prep book been updated for the latest CEH exam?
    JDMurray wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Has the Exam Prep book been updated for the latest CEH exam?

I'll try to remember and check when I get home. If not, there is another one that was recently published in Oct 2007 by Wiley;

The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking (Hardcover)

It still doesn't say what version of the exam it covers though.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not sure if this will help or not but I was looking around amazon.com and found this book for CEH. It came out in Oct 2007 and looks like a fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/CEH-Prep-Guide-Comprehensive-Certified/dp/0470135921/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196353228&sr=8-3
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Heh, you both linked to the same book. I was actually looking at that one last week and thinking of picking it up, but I wasn't sure whether it covered the new version of the exam or not and was waiting to find out.

I checked the publishers websites as well as the descriptions on several websites selling the book without any additional information. I was hoping someone who submitted a review would have mentioned it, but most of the sites had 0-3 reviews and none of them made mention of it. Since they don't specifically state it is for the new version I am going to have to assume that it is not despite the recent release date. The previews of the first few pages/covers/index did not mention anything about it at all.

The current version of the exam (5) was released November 13th, 2006, but version 4 was not retired until June 1st, 2007.

Even if it does not cover the new version of the exam it seems like I pretty good book from the looks of it. Though I didn't use the Krutz and Vines book for my CISSP exam I heard a lot of things about it. I might pick one up still even if it does not cover CEHv5, although it would be nice if it did.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CEHv5 exams is 312-50. If that number doesn't appear in the book then the book is for the CEHv4 exam. I checked www.eccouncil.org and they don't appear to advertise any CEH prep books other than their own.
    Good news, the Exam Prep book I have is for 312-50, it says so right on the cover. Inside it says "Third Printing: May 2007". ISBN is 0789735318.

51GM4q9FKhL._AA240_.jpg
    While it doesn't say it on the cover like the Exam Prep book, perfoming a search on the Amazon interactive link for "The CEH Prep Guide" by Krutz and Vines linked twice above does contain the excerpt 312-50 twice so I am guessing it is also designed for v5 of the exam as well.

InfoSec books do not seem to be largely in stock at most of my local bookstores such as Borders/Barnes and Nobles. It seems they carry a lot more focused toward learning how to turn on a computer or programming. I may end up ordering and reading both since I can't pick one up to page through and see what looks best.

Thanks for the updated information.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Good news, the Exam Prep book I have is for 312-50, it says so right on the cover. Inside it says "Third Printing: May 2007". ISBN is 0789735318.

51GM4q9FKhL._AA240_.jpg

This is the one I have, I think. I like it.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    I ordered the CEH prep guide online earlier this week and it arrived yesterday. It has a large appendix/glossary and a fair number of pages with practice questions so it is not quite as much content as the size of the books makes it seem. Paging through quickly though I do see a lot of website references for more information and it seems like it will be a good book.