map hostname to specific ip (hosts file)

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
I want to point a specific ip to an host(10.0.5.12 dire.direorg.com). So instead of going out to look on the net it would point to an internal ip that is my server. Like what a host file would do, but I don't want to have to go to every single computer and manually edit this file. Could I use a GPO? Any suggestions?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't you have DNS running?
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If thats really what you want to do, then maybe your best bet would be a quick batch file. Something that did
    cd c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc
    copy \\server\host_files\hosts /y

for each user, where server could be a location that houses the desired host file. Maybe you could make it a logon script. Not sure if that helps but maybe you can research it a little. Not sure about a GPO setting, there are way too many objects to know them all.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Do you have the capability of automatically pushing a HOSTS file update to every workstation?
  • ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
    I made a script to copy and paste a host file that I stored on a shared folder and it seemed to work.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Under XP and Vista, an updated HOSTS file is immediately detected and loaded, but I seem to remember Windows 2000 requiring a reboot to re-read an updated HOSTS file.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Don't you have DNS running?

Yes, why aren't you doing this through DNS?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!