Tips on Retaining what you need

I'm using the Sybex book to Study for the 70-290 test and I find that I don't retain the information that I read that well. I know it's more me than the book, so I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to retain what you're reading? I'm getting nervous. I want to take the test in a few weeks but I may have to re-read the book (I'm on chapter 9) I don't want to pay the $150 or whatever it is and fail

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You only retain a small percentage of things you read. Write the information down (make flashcards) and perform the tasks on a machine whenever you can. The more actively involved you are in your learning, the more you will retain.

A good exercise is to pretend that you are an instructor for a course, and you have to teach others this information. This will force you to figure out what is important, and determining how to explain complex concepts to people unfamiliar with the material will really force you think about the information. If you actually know people learning the material, invite them over for a class!

[edit]
    Also, study from more than one resource. I typically use 3-4 per exam. You'll see things from a different perspective and things that didn't make sense in one resource might be clear in another.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    dynamik wrote:

A good exercise is to pretend that you are an instructor for a course, and you have to teach others this information.

Excellent advice. Works well too.
    I like to use the Syngress books. I outline the chapters and turn them into Powerpoint presentations. Makes it easier to review the material.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • gpapagpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I study for IT certifications, I like to get hands on experience. If your not getting hands on experience at work - setup a three virtual machines - domain controller, member server and client. Work with them as soon as you finish a topic - and it'll help you remember the material. Also remember that this stuff takes time to actually remember and settle in. Thats the main point here - to remember the material and use it in real world practice.

Also topics you don't understand.. write it down and read it everday. It will settle in - but time seems to be the key. Cramming might get you the cert... but it wont get you far after that.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    You only retain a small percentage of things you read. Write the information down (make flashcards) and perform the tasks on a machine whenever you can. The more actively involved you are in your learning, the more you will retain.

A good exercise is to pretend that you are an instructor for a course, and you have to teach others this information. This will force you to figure out what is important, and determining how to explain complex concepts to people unfamiliar with the material will really force you think about the information. If you actually know people learning the material, invite them over for a class!

[edit]
    Also, study from more than one resource. I typically use 3-4 per exam. You'll see things from a different perspective and things that didn't make sense in one resource might be clear in another.

Perfect answer.

It is about your mindset while you read. Force yourself to learn the material as if you already know it. "oh yes of course, deny ALWAYS overrides allow.". A good level and confidence and cockyness helps greatly in study.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!